Need info on limited slip problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Need info on limited slip problems!!!

I just bought a 2000 F-150 w/3.55 limited slip (28K miles). I got stuck in the ski area parking lot today. I looked out and my drivers side wheel wasn't spinning at all. Doesn't this mean my axle has a problem?

Is getting stuck like this the only way to tell if its bad?

It seems other are having problems, do Ford LS axles suck ? If I fix it under warranty will it simply go out again?

Why does Ford say changing tire size (my tires are stock) can damage your axles?

Thanks for your help,
glasswave

------------------
F-150 XLT Super Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 4.6L, Auto, 3.55 LS

Old 02-25-2001, 01:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While it is possible there is a problem, it may just be "normal". The factory limited-slip (LS) differential isn't a "locker" so if the primary drive wheel has zero traction, there isn't enough torque-bias to engage the clutch packs. When the clutches aren't engaged, the "other" wheel doesn't get power. It's not broken, just the design of the LS. You can often overcome this design limitation by applying light brake pressure or by "tapping" the accelerator.

IMO, Ford's LS gets a lot of bad comments because people don't know how to use it. Most think they have a "locker" and drive accordingly- and it just doesn't work that way. Ford's LS isn't the best available, but it's better than an open diff.

ALL limited-slip differentials will wear-out over time. How long they last is dependent on how much they are "used". If you hot-rod around, they will wear out much faster than if you drive conservatively. Luckily, the Ford LS has replaceable clutch-packs that are fairly inexpensive. Other makes (like Auburn) have to be completely replaced when the clutches wear out.

Ford axles are pretty strong- the LS is just OK.

Large tires (very few people install smaller ones) put a lot of stress on the axles. Over time, this could lead to damage. I imagine Ford makes such statements for legal reasons more than technical/engineering ones. I've not yet heard of a problem with axle breakage although someone (JMC??) has had some problems with the ring gear.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 02-25-2001, 03:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

One thing you can do to get power to both rear wheels is to apply the parking brake slightly. The LS clutch pack will then engage. This will cause both rear wheels to pull.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

Quick Reply: Need info on limited slip problems!!!