2WD to 4WD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2WD to 4WD Conversion

I have a '91 F-150 2wd XLT Lariat 5.0/auto. If possible, I am thinking of converting it to 4wd this summer. I recently ran across the following article that details how to do this to the 1980-1996 models.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...onversion.html

I know that the site is reputable but would like to know if anybody has tried this and could share their experience. The article states that it is a bolt-in swap but I would like some more info before I buy a wrecked 4wd to do the job.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

DirtBee.

Old 01-01-2002, 05:33 PM
I plan on doing the same to my '92 within the next year or so. He didn't mention where he got the front axle, i think some people have used the axles off of '78 Fords because of there strength. They will also bolt right up but i think they need 8 lug wheels instead of the 5 lug. Hopefully i will be able to find an axle off of an early 90's truck to swap in. The site describes installing a coil spring axle but i have heard of people converting to front leafs as well.

If you go ahead with this soon keep us posted on how it goes, and take pictures!! If i get to it first i will let you know how it turns out.

-Jon

Old 01-03-2002, 01:40 PM
As soon as I get back from Italy I'm going to look for a wrecked truck for parts. This might be easier than multiple trips to the wrecking yard. I think I will stay with the TTB front axle. From what I have read, converting to a solid axle takes some extra work for the spring mounts and the linkage. Maybe a solid axle off of a same year 250 or 350? That might bolt on with minimal trouble.

I'll give an update in March after I get home and find a donor.

DirtBee

Quick Reply: 2WD to 4WD Conversion