Tranny Clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Clunk?

I just purchased a '97 F150 XLT-5.4L-O.R.P. 4x4.
Whenever I come to a stop or leave from a stop I get a clunk sound from the rear.I've read here about a few solutions(heavier springs,tailshaft lube),and my question is how do you lube the tailshaft?Is this the shaft that enters the rear end with the rubber seal on it?Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-12-2002, 11:00 PM
m

Last edited by max mitchell; 01-12-2002 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2002, 10:06 AM
Jhonnyhawk, your reference to the shaft entering the rear end with the rubber seal on it appears to have left Max speechless!!

Old 01-16-2002, 12:15 AM
So that's what the tailshaft lube is for!!!

This is starting to sound dirty!

Old 01-16-2002, 04:10 AM
I have a clunk when i put my truck in drive or reverse, also when i am doing a rolling stop and go it happens bad. THe clunck that is.. This clunk you are hearing are the universal joints. I have changed mine about 3 times and everytime i change them the clunk goes away. BUt my problem is that i am too cheap to pay someone to change the joints so i do it myself. But it never fails everytime i do it i knock the bearings out of line and ruin the u-joints as i reinstall them. I plan on changing them again but not by myself. The easiest thing to do is remove your drive shaft yourself and bring it to a shop for them to change. And buy your u-joint ahead of time from autozone, they go for about 13 dollars and are also greaseable joints.
Hope this helps...

Old 01-21-2002, 11:38 PM
Thumbs down

Well I sure didn't expect the childish responses to my problem,thought this was a forum for helping each other out.In any case,for those of you who have this problem with your truck, I had my truck in for service and it was the slip yoke.I had it greased and the clunk sound has gone away.I don't think I'll look to this forum for any help in the future.Thanks for nothing.

Old 01-22-2002, 02:47 PM
Jeez, Jhonnyhawk, don't go away mad. I just thought Max's abbreviated response was funny.

Anyhow, you will be turning your back on a wealth of great info about your truck if you leave.

Periodically, though, you will find that even though someone may not have the answer you are looking for, they may make an informal comment in the name of levity. If nothing else, it keeps your thread alive which may eventually generate the response you are looking for.

Glad you got your truck fixed though...

Old 01-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Wow, two posts and the guy's history.

We all kid each other from time to time and I hope JohnnyHawk was'nt too offended by the online antics. He may return, he's gone fishin' no doubt.

PS JohnnyHawk, if you read this I'm partial to salmon. Happy huntin.

Old 01-23-2002, 11:20 AM
Talking Hmmmmm????

I'm always suspicious of someone THAT sensitive about issues of "rear-end shaft lube". Keep up the funny, it's rare enough these days!!

Oh, by the way...it seems I'm having a problem keeping my rad hose inflated..when I turn the truck on the hose gets stiff and hot, but then starts to leak and gets limp...any suggestions??

Old 01-23-2002, 03:36 PM
jmorrisonbc. Another high quality Vancouver Island post!

I am NOT going to touch the rad hose problem though. I'm in enough trouble already!!

Old 01-23-2002, 04:40 PM
Ha! We're not representing the island too well...

...I couldn't help but comment...I'll try to be more "mature" in the future!!!

Old 01-24-2002, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL!

Old 01-24-2002, 08:25 PM
Chill, jhonnyhawk. Next time you're waiting for a serious response, do a search of the site.....your particular topic has come up a few times before. Give it a try.....you'll like it. BTW, don't be suprised if you need to have the slip yolk greased occasionally (i.e., the thump may come back after a while).

ernie

Quick Reply: Tranny Clunk?