Ls Rearend In A 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ls Rearend In A 4x4

Please forgive my ignorance.

The post below (4x4 or 4x3) has got me wondering.

Does a 4x4 with a LS rearend function differently when in four wheel drive then a 4x4 with an open rearend as far as the front axle is concerned? Any advantages or disadvantages? I'm considering trading my 99 F250ld 4x4 with an open 3.55 rearend for a 2002 F150 4x4 7700 with LS 3.73 rearend. My thinking is that the LS rearend will give me better traction when the roads are a little greasy but not bad enough to require 4x4. I don't want to sacrifice performance when in 4x4 mode though. Is my thinking flawed.

Old 01-14-2002, 05:06 PM
Post Careful...

The LS does not affect 4wheel drive in any way. I would be careful though about how careful you are in slick conditions, say right after a light rain storm when the oil on the roads is not washed away yet. An open diff will leave one wheel to not spin, thereby giving you an "anchoring point" as your other wheel spins. Now with the limited slip, you will break both tires free, taking your anchor away and throwing you into a tail whip. When I drove for the first time with LS and the 3.73 in snow, I had a tough time easing into the throttle so I wouldn't fish tail. Just a word of caution..

Old 01-14-2002, 05:40 PM
This much, I know. A truck pulling a heavy boat up a slick ramp with open differentials can sit there spinning one rear wheel all day long while a truck with LS will make it up the ramp.

LS is definitely a requirement for me, but in some circumstances, it does cause some handling problems. As klaibs27 said, on slick roads, it can be a problem if you're not careful with the throttle. In general, it's not a problem though. In 4x4 mode, you'll also notice that the truck tends to want to go in a straight line so you need to be aware that turns will be wider than you'd expect.

I know that if I didn't have LS, I'd have gotten stuck in a few circumstances over the years. The two negatives, which really isn't a problem if you know about them ahead of time and can compensate for them, are far outweighed by the advantages when pulling a boat up the ramp or when 4-wheeling.

Old 01-16-2002, 09:30 AM
Limted slip is ONLY in the rear
the front tires turn
if there was a limted slip up front it would make turning
to hard

Quick Reply: Ls Rearend In A 4x4