tie rod failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the board ZB.

If you have not already done so, you can search this forum and find many many treads about the Tie-rod issue. The tread you dug up was over 4 years old.

Since then, Ford has sent a letter to the Original owners of the F-150 about special inspection procedures in-light of the pre-mature failures of the tie-rod end. Many consumer watch TV prograsms have covered the subject. Most of us F150 drivers have resigned ourselves to just replace them with other than Ford Tie-rods. In fact, I just did mine last Monday with MOOG for $50 CDN each.

Tie-rod change

Tie Rod Letter fom Ford

The fact that the tie-rod can seperate with wear is a big No-no. The MOOG, even when severly worn out, will not seperate. I would not say the the MOOG have done some miraculous engineering design, it more like Ford, in an effort to save a few bucks have cut-corners and came up with a very poor design that reflects the out-numbered Mechanical Engineers with a huge team of Accounting Engineers.

Have fun reading.

BTW The tie rod job is fairly easy. I did it and I'm just a Hospital A/V (AudioVisual) Guy with a couple tools.

Dpostman

Quick Reply: tie rod failure