tie rod failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tie rod failure

I am the original owner of a 1997 F-150 ext cab 2wd pickup truck. The truck is used more like a car than a truck and is mostly city driven. A close inspection of the truck would reveal the absence of any abuse. The truck (except for tires) has all its original parts including brakes and at 52,500 km has been well cared for. A short time ago while backing up to park at a grocery store my upper left tie rod popped out of it's socket. The nearest Ford dealer replaced the part and told me that it was normal wear. Two service reps as I was leaving told me that I shouldn't expect parts to last forever and that was normal mileage for that type of part. I argued that the old part showed no sign of wear, they told me that the old socket was clearly oval and worn. The rest of my front-end checks out fine.

I took the old part to Paul Marcoux a regional supervisor for Manitoba highways & vehicle standards( 204- 945- 4603 ). He measured the socket to be .006 thousands out of round and the ball .010 out of round. He felt that there was not enough shoulder on the socket and was disappointed that the there was no grease fitting or provision to install one, just a welded up hole. The part has been sent to transport Canada file # R0293. Trevor Lehoullier is my contact person but has yet not looked at the part.

Am I being unreasonable to expect my front end to last beyond 52,000 km(31,200 miles). Have I been treated honestly by the Ford dealer? I have been denied a claim by Ford's DCS John Vernile. I have not received any written replies to my correspondence with Ford.

If you have any questions or advice please E-mail me back. Feel free to forward this correspondence to anyone that might be of help. Thank you.

‘Twas three weeks before Christmas
And while backing up
My tie rod let go on my Ford pickup Truck

My time had expired
The mileage was low
I phoned one eight hundred
And awaited a tow

The dealership claimed it was
normal wear or neglect
It was definitely not a factory defect

I showed him the socket
and proclaimed it round
He said it was oval we had
No common ground

My beef is with Ford
not the dealership
One bad part out of millions
At least my truck didn’t flip

A safety related part
should not fail without warning
It was just my bad luck
it was made Monday morning

If more trucks have a problem
they may be recalled
But if its just lowly me
I’m left holding the ball

Ford’s DCS did not answer my questions
And I’m not satisfied with our talk
I received a scripted reply
It was like talking to a polite robot

Transport Canada has the part
I await their report
When they side in my favor
I’ll see them in court

Merry Christmas
Ken Charleton # 1FTDX1727VKB93897 52,543 km
Charletn@escape.ca

Old 01-07-2001, 10:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi & Welcome!

Sorry to hear of your problem. As the warranty is 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first), you are "out" of warranty. Thus, the dealership was within their "rights" to deny coverage.

However, you should expect the suspension components to last longer. You might try a search of this site to see if others experienced similar failures and what they did to get resolution.

Old 01-07-2001, 07:37 PM
Charleton:

Keep persuing the company for restitution or refund on whatever the new rods cost you.

I have just turned 65k on my 1999, 4wd, and know of many 2wd trucks in the 200k area that are with their original rods.

Check with ford at 800-565-3673 and give them your vin to see when the 'in-service' date is. If you are within 36 mos, they should cover it under warranty. Also, since you have low mileage, you might want to pursue them at that number to maybe go 50-50 with you on the costs.

I find the squeeky wheel gets the oil, provided you go about it democratically. By the looks of your little jingle there, you should be just fine.

Let us know how it goes.

------------------
Bambino Online
Quick Peak at my Ride
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust

Old 01-07-2001, 11:07 PM
Thank you for the replies. The in service date is December /96 so I’m past the three years. I believe that the part is defective and has been since day one. The truck was represented to me as “Built Ford Tough”. Quality and durability was stressed in all the brochures over and over again. The dealer issued a safe vehicle certificate when I bought it and the truck has been back to Ford for five recalls and on their hoist twice in the fall before this happened.

Just to give you an idea what I’m up against. Two service reps at the dealer tell me it’s normal to change these parts at this mileage and I say its not. The regional Ford rep Fred Mc Donald suggests that the cold temperature may be the cause. I told him it’s cold in Winnipeg, but not cold enough to freeze the ***** off a Ford.

I really have a hard time speaking to anyone at Ford about this. When I ask a question I can’t get a straight answer. I’m told that I have received the correct response. As near as I can figure: If Ford makes one defective tie rod I’m stuck. However, if they make a hole bunch they will reimburse me. They will not tell me how many they’re at so far or at what number a recall will take place. I am told to trust them.

Hey if my dome light stays on when I close the door no sweat, I’m off warranty. But when you open the door and look under your truck and see parts of your front end dangling on the ground it can be a little upsetting. 27 years diving and it’s the first time I’ve had to call for a tow. How humiliating and to be dragged up on a flat bed no less.

This is a safety issue as I see it and I think Ford should see it that way as well.

Ken Charleton charletn@escape.ca

Old 01-09-2001, 10:02 PM

[This message has been edited by jgorka (edited 02-06-2001).]

Old 01-10-2001, 01:28 PM
I don't think "Shut up and drive" was quite the helpful advice Ken was looking for.

I would suggest a letter writing campaign. Write a letter to Ford Corporate and explain the problem and your disagreement with the dealer's conclusion. It's not normal for suspension parts on a truck to last only 30K miles and if you had been driving when it failed it could have been deadly, mention THAT too. Also send a copy to the NHTSA and indicate on Ford's copy that you've done this.
I've done this twice with Ford, the first time (15 years ago) got me squat, the second time (last year) got me unbelievable results.

Good luck

Old 01-10-2001, 10:40 PM

[This message has been edited by jgorka (edited 02-06-2001).]

Trending Topics

Old 01-11-2001, 01:01 AM
The front end was inspected as well as the brakes and suspension by Tirecraft on September 8/99 at 38,275 km. The original general tires were terrible and really just a passenger car tire. I installed new Dunlop rover AT LT225/75R16 D. Supplied by Tirecraft and they were balanced. The truck was back at the dealer for a recall for an engine cover gasket in october/00. And back again November 3/00 for a fuel line inspection recall and to replace the water pump that the mechanic cracked doing the engine cover gasket recall 51,652km. My left upper tie rod fell apart Dec4/00 at 52,543km.

I do my own oil changes. I am the sole owner and driver since day one. This truck has never been in an accident or bounced off curbs. I do not drive off road or tow a trailer. I plan to keep this truck a long time.

I had the old part inspected locally by the regional manager for vehicle testing for Manitoba. Ford could care less. I registered my complaint with Transport Canada and sent them the old part at their request. I have informed the NHTSA and my complaint can be found on their web site. I have sent three letters to Ford and has of today not received a reply. I offered to keep the local dealer posted and send him copies of correspondence and got no reply.

I believe that this part has been held together by grease gravity and a grommet for the last four years. It was a dead parrot from the beginning. What I hoped to achieve on this web site was to find other Ford owners in the same boat as me or here of someone that has received better treatment from Ford. I don’t need a lawyer to go to small claims court but it is my last resort. It’s not about money. I just hate being lied to.

Maybe something just popped out in my brain , it must have been caused by the cold weather.

Old 01-11-2001, 02:29 AM
Charleton:
Yours wasn't "one defective part in millions"
Mine popped out while backing out of a parking space, wheels turned sharp right, and clunk! ohhh, I must have run over something...I looked, but never saw anything. I kept going out of the parking spot, but now it felt like I had a flat or something, I got out & checked the tires, and proceeded another few feet....turned out onto the road, still not sure what was the matter...the truck actually drove straight, but wierd...then I turned left into the next drive, I was SURE something was WRONG! and when I turned right, it clunked....then I looked UNDER the truck & found the terminal tie rod end...vital signs absent. half an hour on the cell phone located a part at one dealer & a service dept that was open afternoons, I had the service dealer pick up the part at the OTHER dealership before it closed, while I got towed in.
Ford dealer said they hadn't seen that happen, but I was wayyy outta warranty, (over 100,000 KM) so I paid about 75 or 80 bucks, (parts & labour)and took it somewhere else to line it up.

Funny, but I had no warning, really loose steering, noises, or anything that would make me not want to drive the truck up till that point.

My truck gets used like a truck, but, hell...IT IS A TRUCK! That stuff shouldn't fail!

------------------
'97 S/C XLS black/candy marblizing accents,'98 Mustang hood scoops molded on hood up to the cowl, 157" WB, 4.6/auto, 3:08, custom stainless tube grille, terminator muffler, billet aluminum stake pocket tie downs, 1/2" thick billet fender emblems, airbox mods, TPS tuned
email: bazils@hotmail.com
http://content.communities.msn.com/bazilspix/PhotoAlbum

Old 01-11-2001, 10:32 AM
Well then it's settled. If you can stand the attitude you'll obviously get much better advice from a "former regional field service representative for a supplier of truck steering componentry" (something akin to a Service Writer?) than you can from a 12-year-old, but it won't take the 12 year old a page-and-a-half of text to tell two people they're idiots.

[This message has been edited by Indyfan (edited 01-11-2001).]

Old 01-11-2001, 03:41 PM
Hey , I heard back from Transport Canada today and the ball is now rolling. However , Ford is allowed six weeks to respond to any inquiries they might make. I am not the only thing on his desk but I believe they will do what they can for me. My contact person at Transport Canada File # R-0293 has this web site address and said he might look in. Any additional information on tie rod failures would be of great help.

It was nice to here from Bazil1, and I will admit he’s a much better shopper that I am .

Here’s what I paid.

Labour 60.80
part 108.54 left outer tie rod end
misc charges 6.76 10% of labour rate

subtotal 176.10
taxes 24.66

total 200.76

53.50 cost of tow
total 253.76 They inspected the rest of my front end but this did not include an alignment

The tie rod end installed was one of those high quality Ford parts that never has to be greased. Not a cheap after market part that comes with a grease fitting that I found out later I could purchase for under $50.00

Old 02-06-2001, 04:41 PM
Ford has offered to cover 50% of the cost of the Tow And replacement of tie tie rod (50% of $254.00), as a gesture of goodwill I hope that this information is of help to anyone with a low mileage Ford that is off warranty.

Special thanks to Phil Edmonston (author of LemonAid)for contacting Ford on my behalf.

All the leters I sent and phone calls I made had no effect.

Ken Charleton
charletn@escape.ca

Old 03-05-2001, 07:38 PM
Transport Canada has been of great help. I thought that these parts were just lumps of steel, not so. Roto-tech has a web site with a cross section diagram www.roto-tech.com\more that may explain why I did not notice it loosening. There is a Teflon bushing and a spring that holds tight. Drilling out the tie rod and putting in your own grease fitting as was suggested by someone on line is not recommended.

My part according to Transport Canada was corroded. Something contaminated the socket and caused it to wear prematurely and warning signs were not apparent because the spring kept it tight. I’m not the only one this has happened to. Transport Canada has looked at some 98’s as well and has other samples of tie rods other than mine that have failed.

I have received no technical information or anything else for that matter from Ford on the 1997's.Can anyone reading tell me if the tie rods on the new models are the same as on my old 1989 ?

Transport Canada felt that the fact that a driver could lose control of the vehicle without the usual tell tale signs could be a serious safety concern. If in fact there are more like mine in service. They advised me to change the other side and would like to inspect the old part.

Ken Charleton
charletn@escape.ca

Old 03-07-2001, 01:17 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Charleton,

My truck had a cronic pull to the right since day 1. After 3 allignments at the dealer I got fed up and went to the Fast Lane (dealer Owned fast lube place) to have an allignment done. The Mgr there took me back to the Dealer and spoke to the New Service mgr and set up a free inspection / allignment to correct the pull. The inspection revealed bad ball joint and the tires needed replacement. As I was getting new BFG MTs I was allowed to wait before wasting the ball joint & alignment. I had the oil changed at the fast lane before the new tires and the tech spotted a bad tie rod. Well I finally got the tires and had the front end fixed. New ball joint, tie rod and proper allignment corrected the pull. This was done at around 28,000 KM. If you want I can dig up the bill and fax it to you.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 05-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Tie Rods

I had the passenger side tie rod fail on my '99 XLT this afternoon when I was backing out to go to work.

Though I am trying to figure out why it failed though. I've had the truck a year, and other than hopping the odd curb when my driveways blocked all it's seen is street use.

I have a question: Has anyone heard anything out Ford about this?

Quick Reply: tie rod failure