Pitman Arm

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2000, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Since having the pitman arm replaced a few weeks back, I now occasionally have a thumping sensation from the front of the truck when driving. You can feel it more often when driving in the 20-40 mph range. It feels like it's coming from the driver's side front tire.

All air pressures on the tires have been checked and are at the recommended pressure.

The only possible difference that may be contributing to this is since having the pitman arm replaced, the weather up here in the northeast has gotten much more winter-like and the temperatures have dropped.

The truck is a 1997 F250 XCab with 28K miles.

Old 01-27-2000, 08:36 PM
Dear TheHedge:

Try doing a search on steering shafts, I remember a while back there being a discussion on u-joint problems on the steering shafts. Could be your noise. Does it happen when your cruising and pull your foot off the gas and then step on the gas again?

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Nerf Bars and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, soon to be Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover, maybe a Superchip

Old 02-27-2001, 07:07 PM
Question

Iggy, I have that same noise you do (I think). While making almost full stop turns, a moaning / groaining that seems to come from the rear axle. Are you supposed to lube the hubs back there? They spend a decent amount of time underwater on boat ramps.

------------------
97 F250LD SC 5.4 4x4 White, Astro cap, nerf bars
piston slap, driver door crack, no gutter cracks, anything else?

Old 03-08-2001, 09:25 AM
Cool

Another steering noise you guys may be hearing is the rubber boot on the firewall that the steering shaft goes through. I have seen this on many fords at work, and a simple fix for this is to spray some silicone spray on the steering shaft and move the boot up and down in the area it normally contacts. It usually works!

Quick Reply: Pitman Arm