Spring in steering wheel broken?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring in steering wheel broken?

In both directions, when turning the steering wheel, there's a "ping" sound. I can feel it too. It's in the steering column, between the horn and the turn signal lever, I think. It is pretty persistent now, and starting to scare me. Does this sound like a safety concern? Anyone know what it is? Never seen the inside of a steering column before. Thanks!!

Old 01-19-2002, 01:45 PM
is your air bag light on? and does your horn work? if one or both, sound's like clock spring. but they normally do not make that much noise. try using your turn sig. and see if the noise change's. try both way's. if it does. sound's like mutifunction sw. like the cancel cam is out of whack. if nothing changes. you had better get it looked at. it could get to the point that the wheel does not turn.

Old 01-19-2002, 05:42 PM
Wino, thanks for the reply. The horn and signal work fine. No air bag light. It has occoured to me that with all the clicking and pinging in the steering wheel, the air bag could go off. I hope not. Using the signals in a turn doesn't seem to make a difference. I guess I'll have to get it to a dealer this week. My neighbor is a Ford mechanic, but I hate to bug him on his day off. On the positive side, this is the first problem I've ever had with my truck (other than two light bulbs) I've put 60k of the 110k miles on it.

Old 01-22-2002, 06:08 AM
I don't know what it was, but it went away Hope it doesn't come back.

Old 01-26-2002, 09:03 AM
The noise is back. My neighbor says it's the clock spring on the steering column. He'll replace it for me when I buy the part

Quick Reply: Spring in steering wheel broken?