35" Tires...What Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35" Tires...What Gears?

I'm running 315/75/17 Pro Comps on my '02 Super Crew. I want to add some power off the line, but still be able to comfortably do about 80-85 on the freeway. I currently have the factory 3:55s. What do you suggest for gearing? I would like to be able to take a few 'stangs off the line if possible (just because I can). I have over seven inches of lift. My truck may occassionally see some loose dirt or sand, but will primarily be used for road use.

Any help? Thanks............JB

Old 01-19-2002, 10:14 PM
I don't recommend drag racing mustangs with a lifted truck but 4.56 gears would do nicely. 4.11's would give you a better balance of takeoff speed, cruising rpms, and gas milage though.

-Jon

Old 01-20-2002, 03:00 PM
The ideal gear ratio for gettin back to stock is like a 4.25 or 4.30 or 4.33 i can't remember, but they dont make this for the 8.8" axle. So if i were you, i'd go 4.56s...4.10s will make a huge improvement tho, but i like speed, and am willing to forfeit gas mileage for my friends going "wow this thing really has some pick up"...not only that, but it shocks the hell outta other ppl when a lifted truck just jets off sometimes...dont know if you'll beat any GT stangs...or even 6ers just cause you are so big...but it'd be closer with the 4.56s...anyways, hope this helps...

By the way, i want your supercrew...i'll trade ya my 78 Pinto for it...think about it...you could have a pinto...those things rock......naw, anyways, your truck is one of the best i've ever seen with that combo...it really looks good...i love the color too...good job...

Old 01-20-2002, 06:27 PM
I thought about it real hard, but I'm going to have to pass on that dope *** pinto.

Seriously, thanks for the props. It's looking pretty sweet. I'm really close to changing the gearing, and going with headers. I'm still toying with the idea of supercharging it. I've talked with JBA (here in San Diego) and they might work with me on a package deal.

Any other help on the gearing would be much appreciated. Thanks. L8R..................JB

Old 01-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Man that's one sharp truck. Wish I had the dough to buy a new one and lift it like that, I'll get there someday.
Like everyonne said a 4.10 would get you back to around stock performance and a 4.56 would let you gain a little take off but slow top end and gas mileage would down a little. I have a couple of point of views on this. First I have raced with a truck lifted like yours and gears (not sure what ratio) and he kept right up with me. Other points to think about is. Are you ever planing to go up or down in tire size? How concerned are you with gas mileage. From my view not much if you drive a truck with over 7 inches of lift and 315's.

Quick Reply: 35" Tires...What Gears?