4.56 Percision Gears installed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4.56 Percision Gears installed!

I finally installed the 4.56 Percision Gears. All I can say is, DAMN I love my truck again! Installation was easy to say the least. Not as difficult as I thought it'd be. The front was a little time consuming, removing the cv joints, brake assembly and axle it self. The axle is bolted to the Rancho subframe so it just dropped out after removing the bolts. The rear was easy, remove tires, driveshaft, axles and drain oil. I had a buddy from Ford who does drivetrains help with the uninstall and install. With the PG gears the rear backlash came in at .010 and front at .009 with stock shims! Ford specs are .008 - .015. Pinion depth and gear pattern was perfect. My buddy couldn't believe that no shimming was needed with the PG gears. Also the PG gears rear pinion shaft does not use a crush collar, but uses a 1/8" spacer instead. No busted knuckles trying to crush the collar. As for the front, it has a crush collar, to crush the collar we put the pinion flange in a vise and crushed it. Compressor didn't have enough power to do the job. The right tools will help with the uninstall and install, 36mm socket for hubnut, calipers, dial indicator, dead blowhammer, bearing press, bearing seperator, marking compound, rags, latex gloves. The front took us about six hours and the rear four hours.

Also, Summit has a chrome differential cover for the 9.75" rear end, part number TRD-9466, $40.00. This part is on backorder until 030801, but I checked Summit today and they already shipped it out on Monday.

Gears are still being breaked in. PG Gears recommended 500 miles. Got 200 to go. What a difference in performance, acceleration, no down shifting unless you want to, gas mileage improved, you name it, I'm happy.

For anyone who is thinking of doing it? JUST DO IT! You won't regret it, I was apprehensive until I did it. The only thing I have to do now is to recalibrate the speedo.

------------------
Y2K, 5.4L, Black, Lariat Super Cab,Fully Loaded, 4.56 Percision Gears, 35" BFG MT's w/ 16.5" by 9.75" Eagle Alloys, 3" Performance Accessories Body Lift, Lift Lips, Smitty Built Stainless Step Bars, Hellwig Anti Sway Bar, Hellwig LP 25 Overload Springs,K&N FIPK, Super Chip, Flowmaster Catback, Brahma Camper Top, Herculiner Bed Liner, Rancho Steering Stabilizer

Old 03-07-2001, 08:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Congrats on the "new truck". Just wait until break-in is over and you can really get on it. Smiles from ear to ear!

Don't forget to change the diff oil after break-in. Cheap insurance for long-lasting gears.

Old 03-08-2001, 01:31 PM
you said you had the 9.75 rear end, I was wondering how you can tell. There is a 8.8 and a 9.75 right. I have a 2000 4x4 with 5.4 auto. Do I have the 9.75 rear end? Also what is the front size? One more thing. Where did you get the PGs and how much, I will be doing this the begining of April. Thanks!

------------------
NEW TRUCK!
00 f150 ext. cab 4x4 ORP w/5.4/auto, black! Tan buckets, expy center console, tinted windows, westin nerf bars, flowmaster 40 series, remote start/alarm/keyless entry, headlight/taillight covers, Lund wiper cowl, vent visors, tono cover

old truck
99 black f150 4x2 ext. cab sport w/4.6 V8. external mods. include:
3" body lift, 3.5" fabtech lift, airaid FIPK, JBA headers, Superchip headlight/taillight covers, wiper schroud, shadeblade, ventshade, bug deflector, bed liner, tonno cover, and custom duel exhaust out the sides with 3.5" chrome tips and NO muffler. Tires: Mickey Thompson Baja HP 35 12.50 17 internal mods. include:
Pioneer indash cdplayer, 2 12" subs, 400 watt amp, remote start, and aftermarket alarm
http://www.4tssinc.com/truck
http://www.mifordtrucks.com

Old 03-08-2001, 02:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... CHRISTRUCKER : All F-150's with the 5.4 come automatically with the STERLING 9.75 rearend. It's the exact same one used in the LIGHTNING. All F-150's with the 4.6 or 4.2 come with the FORD 8.8 rearend. The FORD SVT guy I talked to at the DETROIT AUTORAMA said that the STERLING 9.75 rerend is just as strong as the old FORD 9 INCH. Some of the LIGHTNING's with the 9.75 are running slicks and going low 12's in the 1/4 mile with no problems yet.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 03-08-2001).]

Old 03-09-2001, 12:19 AM
Question

I've got a 99 with the 5.4L. I currently have 3.73 gears (9.75 rear end). I am thinking about going to 4.10 or 4.56. My tires are 285/60/18. Does anyone have a similar set-up? Can you re-cal the speedo?

Old 03-09-2001, 12:58 AM
I am thinking about changing my gears on my 97 4.6l 5speed 4x4, and I was wondering what it cost you. How is the mileage, and was it really a big increase in performance?

------------------
Regards,
Ron

Old 03-09-2001, 11:09 AM
I have the 265/70-17's with 4.10's. You can't change the speedo gears in 99 and up models.

I have ordered a superchip from Mike T to correct my speedo. You have to contact Mike (go to the chips board) and give him your computer code.

I will post the results when it arrives.

I am very happy with the 4.10's. 4.56's would have be too short unless you go to taller tires IMHO. Ideally, I wanted something in the 4.30 range but there is nothing available.

Ian

------------------
99 Expedition EB
5.4l, 4x4, 4.10'S
WMS Tube, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust.
Superchip Flipchip on Order

Quick Reply: 4.56 Percision Gears installed!