Leaking Rear Axle Seals/No Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Leaking Rear Axle Seals/No Parking Brake

If your parking brake brake isn't working, it may be the rear axle seals.

97 Expedition, 38,000 miles. I park on a slight incline and use the parking brake. Over the last few months it has been getting weaker. It finally got to where it wouldn't hold the vehicle.

I thought that it was just out of adjustment, so I pulled the rear wheels, calipers and rotors to check it out. The Expedition has rear disc brakes, but the parking brake uses separate shoes, that fit into a "drum" on the back side of the rotor. What I found was grease all over the parking brake shoes and the parking brake "drum" on both rear wheels. It is leaking from both rear axle seals -- I could see a drip on both sides. I don't think that it's gotten on the brake pads or rotors, but it would have eventually. I cleaned off the grease and I'll be taking it into the dealer (fortunately, I have an extended warranty).

Has this happened to anyone else? I changed the rear end fluid (with Amsoil 75W140) about six months ago at around 32,000 miles. I didn't check the rear end fluid level before removing the diff cover, but I now think that it might have been low, and that the axle seals dried out and shrank. When I filled it up to the proper level, the leak might have begun. Or maybe they're just bad seals. I want the dealer to replace the parking brake shoes as they have been soaked in grease. I'd appreciate any ideas.

------------------
97 Expedition XLT 4x4, Black, 3.73 LS, 5.4L, leather, all options except LLS, Edelbrock IAS shocks, BFG AT KO 285/75/16s on American Racing Atlas 16x8

[This message has been edited by Jon P (edited 03-14-2001).]

Old 03-14-2001, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hopefully your diff. didn't get low enough to do any damage! When refilling a diff. the proper method would be to refill; then jack-up one side for 5 minutes-then lower that side & wait for 3-5 minutes (for fluid to seep down axle tube), then check fluid level. Repeat this procedure for opposite side--then check fluid once more.
Many people service an empty diff. housing & never get enough diff. fluid in their diff.

------------------
1999 Teal Blue F-150 S/C
4.6L, XLT, 3.55 L/S 4x2
Tow pkg., Rhino liner, Engine block heater & Swiss hard toneau cover. Premium sound
255/75 R16 Generals-owl
This" is Mama's pride"

Quick Reply: Leaking Rear Axle Seals/No Parking Brake