Limited Slip problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 07:06 AM
AB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Slip problem?

Hello,

I bought the truck used around a year ago and sort of investigating what I have bought
I have H9 code on the driver door meaning that I have 3.55" limited slip on the rear…
I've gone through the postings here and would like to ask you guys a couple of questions…
I already know from my experience and from the postings that limited slip doesn't behave good on the sleek roads. My truck slips to the right ALL the times. Only to the right. The question is do I have a problem with the rear or it's an expected behavior? Why is it to the right only?
Another thing: is the limited slip a part of any factory-towing package or it's just an option?
Third, if I decide to install a lock it looks like I cannot do Powertrax because of the LS. What would be my options in that case? Detroit lock? Anything else?
Any input would be appreciated…
Alex.

Old 02-07-2002, 09:30 PM
At the risk of insulting your intelligence with a seemingly dumb question -- do you mean the RR tire spins, or the back end of the truck slides towards the curb?

Old 02-08-2002, 06:42 AM
AB
I meant the latter: "the back end of the truck slides towards the curb"...
all the time...

Old 02-08-2002, 08:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It probably goes to the right all the time because most roads are pitched to the right to direct water runoff to curbs and gutters. I'm sure that the torque reaction from the engine spinning figures in a little too. Sounds like normal limited slip behavior to me.

Try to press down on the accelerator pedal more slowly so's ya dont break 'em loose all the time. Also, I suppose you could shop around for tires with better wet weather performance if it's too annoying for you.

Old 02-08-2002, 08:18 AM
AB
For me the most important point is that "it's normal behavior"
I don't understand it though... It happened at dif. conditions, I think that road pitch has nothing to do here...

Anyways, THANKS MUCH!

Old 02-08-2002, 01:31 PM
The reality of any situation is that the LSD isn't perfect. The left-right balance of the vehicle isn't 50/50 either. Ipso Facto, the LSD is always going to have a slight bias torwards one wheel.

Old 02-08-2002, 06:53 PM
A primary reason FOR having LS is to encourage both wheels to turn at the same time -- thereby reducing the tendancy for one to slip while the other doesn't.

A primary reas AGAINST having LS is that when two wheels slip at the same time, lateral stability is compromised -- meaning, you'll slide the rear of the truck 'down' the path of least resistance.

And as LE PEW observed, the rear usually slides towards the curb.

I find it a lot of fun -- however my wife tends to suck all of the oxygen out of the cab (thank goodness for that grab-handle -- it saves me from wiping finger-prints off of the dash).

Old 02-08-2002, 07:22 PM
Exclamation AB-

The LS is a separate option.
Yes, there are alternatives the the OEM LS. There is a larger selection if it's an 8.8".

Quick Reply: Limited Slip problem?