HOWL at the moon

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2002, 05:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOWL at the moon

How common is a howling problem with supercab 4x4. 1999 F150.

I went to a local shop where i long time friend is and he said alot of F150's howl exactly like mine does. I think i've narrowed it down to backlash in the rearend, and i'm not worried about it unless it can hurt something expensive.

My symptoms:

Howl's intermittently. It doesn't howl when accelerating fairly brisk, or when i let off the gas. Only when i accelerate mildly or driving down the road just cruising; and once again, it does it intermittently.

I've had the Ford dealer look at it and they hear the noise, but they think it's a little loud, but just to keep an eye on it in case it gets worse or causes a vibration which it doesn't right now. It's out of warranty, and they said i should just drive it and not waste any money on it unless a problem can be indentified for sure.

I've checked:

Replaced rear end lube, had bearing checked in the rear end which seemed good, no leaks anywhere on the truck. dealership did a transfer case service, all u-joints are tight and there's no clunking in the drivetrain.

So my guess is it's either backlash or a bearing going slowly and depending on how the lube gets splashed around, it comes and goes.

Has anyone had any experience with howling of a drivetrain and actually had a fix?

Thanks

Old 02-08-2002, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some howl under load (engine applying power or engine braking) is normal. Be on the lookout for popping sounds while turning from a stop or a constant speed. If no abnormal sounds, I wouldn't worry.

Old 02-08-2002, 07:47 PM
THanks

I don't think i'm too worried about it. Normally, i figure about the worst that could happen is a ring/pinion break, or bearings go. Either way, since i have a friend at the local Midas, he's always been good to me about repairs.

Thanks again for your input.

Old 02-08-2002, 08:32 PM
msujon71-

This is becoming a commonly discussed problem here. The symptoms sound like increased backlash caused by: poor quality gears, incorrect setup, wear, lubrication failure, debris, or all/some of the above; but gears. Your analysis sounds on target.

Old 02-16-2002, 10:12 AM
Update

Good news for once. I decided to pull the rear differential cover off and inspect the gears and oil. WHat I found was a approx. a cup of grit in the bottom mixed with the gear lube. Now, this might be sand from the casting, or metal from the gears wearing in, etc. but it's all clean now. and i replaced it with Amsoil 75W-140 gear lube and guess what??

Noise is Gone!! hopefully for good. It's been two days now and i haven't heard it once. I waited to give a response until i was sure i wasn't hearing it at all. I'm very pleased.

I just hope that with 75000 miles on my 99 F150 supercab that it didn't hurt it longterm. I don't think that it's the case.

My opinion, it might be worth to pull it apart and change the oil and clean the inside out.

Quick Reply: HOWL at the moon