LS problem??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LS problem??

Hey guys wondering if you can give some insight .Ive got 2002 screw limited slip 3.55 with 1100 miles, love the truck but when i'm in 4x4 and turn from a stop it feels like the brakes are applied almost locking the rear wheel feels fine in 4x2.thanks

Old 02-10-2002, 11:15 AM
oh no

I hope that's not on pavement?? You should only use 4x4 in mud or slippery conditions ie ice. With 4x4 engaged on pavement your tires are gonna bind and it feels like its looking up. This is due to to both tires turning the same, normal driving ie 4x2 the outside tire turns more than the inside tire, so no binding, in 4x4 they are locked and turning at the same speeds, so binding occurs. Same on a 3 or 4 wheeler. Turn a circle and the outside wheel will always chew up dirt or grass, because it is slipping and tearing up the terrain. So its normal, just don't use 4x4 on pavement. Maybe some one here can give you a better explanation than I.

cajun

Old 02-10-2002, 12:15 PM
thanks for the reply cajun ,i noticed it the other day after a heavy snow the night before, when i was backing out . When i think about it now the street was already drying off in spots.thanks again

Old 02-11-2002, 10:21 AM
Yup. Never on dry pavement. What happens is your transfer case turns the front/rear driveshafts the same rpm. As you turn the front and rear axles are in different turning circles (radius) and therefore one axle will turn at a different overall driveshaft rpm than the other.

This is extremely hard on your whole drivetrain particularly your u-joints in the driveshafts, cv-joints up front and the transfer case. Sometimes something just goes SNAP!

Part-time 4x4 vehicles like our trucks have a solid transfer case where other full-time 4 wheel drive vehicles actually have another diff built into the transfer case that takes up the difference in speed front to rear. Usually it is lockable for slippery terrain driving.

Even driving in the rain with 4x4 is a no-no. Use it for snow/ice/mud/dirt.

Quick Reply: LS problem??