3.55 LS rear axle leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.55 LS rear axle leaking

I have a 2000 Expedition 4x4 w/ the 3.55 LS rear end. I have 25,000 miles now and have been hearing a low humming sound and vibration from underneath when under throttle at highway speeds.

In looking underneath today I saw that there is a fluid leak towards the front of the rear axle, right where the driveline is connected. Is there a seal here going bad or something?

Could my noise because caused by this condition, or low axle fluid perhaps? How is FORD likely to repair this leak? I'd hate to get the seal fixed and the fluid replaced, but still have some sort of internal damage caused by all this.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2kExpi

My 00 F150 was leaking in the same spot. When I went in for a oil change I mentioned it to them and they put a seal kit in at no charge under warranty. The service writer said it was a common problem he has seen on these.
Not sure if your noise is related to a leak or not but I would think there would have to be a lot of fluid lost before that would start. Best bet would be to take it in and have them look at it while its under the 3yr/36000 warranty. Mention your concern about the noise and see if they will drop the axle cover when replacing the seal and check it out.

Good Luck...

Old 03-01-2002, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First you'll see the seal leak, then the shuddering from the LS clutches is soon to follow, and lastly the pinion bearings will start to whine and need to be replaced. This is a fairly common occurance in the Ford rearends and you'll see many post about it if you read back a few pages.
As far as my problems, "the fluid doesn't leak out enough to cause problems by just the seal leaking unless it is really slinging it out and leaving puddles", is what I heard at the dealer. Of course later all the other problems happened, and once it was supposedly all fixed, my new seal is leaking again!

Quick Reply: 3.55 LS rear axle leaking