Clunk feeling in steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunk feeling in steering wheel

I have a 98 f-150 off road with 80,000 on it. I have this clunk that I feel and can hear inside the stering wheel. It mostly happens when I up shift. It actually feels like there is something loose in the steering wheel its self. It seems to handle fine, and does not travel to either side or uneven tire wear. What is the deal with my truck. I have the door crack, bottom rust in the door, engine light that comes on for no reason, the door ajar and dome light problem, leaky rear slide window, the start up knock problem. I'll be the first one to admit that I love my truck, but this is just getting a little out of control. At the present time I need some input on the steering wheel clunk problem.

thanks for the input.

outland brush guard
westin nerf steps
extang soft top
vent shades
tinted windows
cutom exaust
afraid throttle body spacers
k&n system
catch all floor liner

Old 03-29-2001, 08:39 PM
Hey Fly,
This could be the u-joints on the steering shaft getting loose. My 95 Explorer had that same noise. Going over RR tracks or hitting bumps just right there would be a clunking sound from the steering column and you could feel it in the wheel. There was a TSB on this for my Explorer but I never took it in. Could be a little annoying but I knew it wasn't going to come apart so I didn't worry about it.

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover.

Old 03-30-2001, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info. would this be something that I need to get repaired? As you stated I can also feel and hear it on bumps. If I did get it repaired would it be expensive? I am planning on making a trip tomorrow to do some fly fishing, and I dont want anything to happen. I appreciate your response and any added information.

Old 03-30-2001, 07:18 PM
I have the same problem. I had the the TSB done on it while it was under warranty, they replaced my lower control arms, and intermediate steering shaft. Never solved the noise. I later read in other posts that the steering box should have been replaced (premature wear and tear) or the u-joints. It is a common problem among f150's. I am now out of warranty and the noise drives me nuts. If anyone has had a real solution please tell us.

------------------
1997 4.2L F-150 XLT supercab

Old 03-30-2001, 09:12 PM
I dont think you have to rush out to get this fixed(if it is indeed the u-joints on the steering shaft). I never got mine fixed on the Explorer and drove it for 4 years like that. I never got any worse. Traded it in for the F150.
Go on your trip and don't worry about it.

Hobbit

------------------
99 XLT,4.6L Auto,4X4,tow pkge,Factory Side Steps and Mudflaps, K&N filter,BugflectorII, Amazon Green/Silver, Pace Edwards Rolltop Cover.

Old 03-31-2001, 11:21 PM
Fly,
There was a TSB on my 97 relating to a clunking noise (I was having it when going over bumps as hobbit indicated). When I had a recall done I took the TSB to the dealer and I believe they said there was a bushing that could be installed. I didn't have your miles though. Here is a link to a site for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration where you can look up info on TSB's and recalls: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
Good Luck

------------------
97 F150 Lariat, Ext. cab, SB, 4.6, auto Dark Torridor Red/Silver, Grey leather, Leer running boards, deflector, tonneau, bed liner, Superchiped

Quick Reply: Clunk feeling in steering wheel