Gear Swap Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gear Swap Pricing

Well... Went to the Dealership today wondering how much they would charge me to put 4.10 gears in my 8.8
I seemed to come up with the following info.
I have a 2001 supercab with 4.6 and 3.55 regular differential.
The only lower gear that will fit in a regular diff. is the 3.73.
In order to fit the 4.10 they must install a 8.8 limited slip diff.
(they told me this personally)
So... the cost is as follows. (from the dealership)
Limited slip Differential = $280
4.10 Gear set with all shims and stuff = $490
(Special Oil) Rear end Oil = $70
(Specail addidive) Limited slip additive = $10
Labor to install everything = $375
Oh yea.. they even added $70 bucks just for sales Tax!
Total comes in right around $1300 and includes a 12 month 12,000 mile warrenty and will not affect original warrenty.

I even tried the local 4x4 shop and they quated me $1250-1300

Is this reasonable?????

I do want the limited slip. And i do want 4.10 gears.
Is there anywere else i can find a better deal?
Is it worth $1300 for the lower gear swap?
Any info is great! Thanks!

Old 03-12-2002, 08:14 PM
That seems like a good price on the LSD but they are raping you on the cost of the gears!

Even the astronomically high 4WP only wanted $359 for a 4.10 gear set for a 9.75 Sterling...

Of course they could be including the price of the Master Install Kit with the Gear set, but for an 8.8 that still seems to be really high!

This is of course JMHO!

Old 03-12-2002, 08:27 PM
I agree with Non, it sounds like they got a price on 2 sets of gears. I only paid $275 for the "astronomical" 9.75"ers.

Old 03-13-2002, 01:44 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never heard of not being able to put higher gears on the open rear, if you wanted to do that. You can get a much better after market LS (which already comes installed in a new carrier) for that or less.
Contact the guys at Randy's ring and pinion http://www.ring-pinion.com/home.html
and see what they can do for you. They may also be able to recommend someone in your area for the install.

Old 03-13-2002, 06:44 PM
Barnett Performance has gears in stock for $180. The master install kit was another $90 on top of that.

My local Ford dealer installed the Auburn Pro and 4.10 gears for $350 labor.

Barnett Performance also has very good prices on the Auburn units, the "HP" series is $250, and the "Pro" series (what I have) is $350. They stock all of this stuff (and no I don't work for them).

You will probably need to know exactly what your truck needs, they sell this stuff for cars.

8.8" axle, 31 spline is what you need to know. (Unless you have 9.75" rear or something, did not check on that.)

Old 03-13-2002, 08:28 PM
8.8" Ford Corp. differentials all use the same support case (ring gear carrier) for all ratio's. Only exception, L/S or non-L/S, 28-spline (some ford Rangers & some cars) or 31-spline (F-150 and Expedition).

If your diff. is an open, 3.55; dealership could change R/P and necessary shims, crush-sleeve, seals & brg's and You would then have an open diff., 4.10 ratio.

Part# on OEM ford trac-loc is M4204F318 (if you want to shop around for price comparsion on a trac-loc). I prefer Auburn "pro" series L/S or Eaton-Posi.

What part of the world do you live in? These prices seem a little high to me. Gearman

Old 03-13-2002, 09:24 PM
hmmmmm?

Well... the dealership guy called me and informed me that the "Ford Rep." said that if they put anything other that what came from the factory that if would void my warrenty.
He also tried to discourage me by saying the 4.10 gears would throw my speedo off. (this is true but im sure my superchip can handle that!) (i think)
He also said that since the speedo was off, the tranny would shift in the wrong spots or something like that..
Maybe a couple of you 4.10 guys would like to post a couple things for me.
1. I would like to know if the modification Is worth the trouble.
2. Is it worth Paying as much as $1300?
3. Does gas miliage drop?
4. Bout what rpms are you pulling at verious speeds? (70mph)
5. Can the superchip fix all troubles?
6. Have you had any troubles from the rear end itself?
7. Any tranny troubles?

Guess thats about it.
I have a 2001 supercab with the 4.6.
I bought some tires about 2 inches taller than stock.
even though i have 3.55 open, with the tires my calculations show i run like having a 3.3 or something close.
And i also pull a small cargo trailer to work too.
I get like 12mpg if i pull it every day. Would the gears help?
I live in a hilly area. (north east Texas)
My Friend bought a 4.2 regular cab 5spd and its way faster than mine! that is untill the superchip lets me go over 100.
Anyway... Thanks for all the replys so far. I'm fixing to check out some gear pricing!
Thanks alot,
Me

Old 03-14-2002, 01:36 PM
Check out: http://www.sema.org on the warranty void thing. Basically they can only void if they can prove that part XX caused damage YY. Even then they can only void the warranty on the effected part(s). So if you put in lower gears and your door cracks, they can't tell you where to do.

I just went from 3.55LS to an Auburn Pro with 4.10 gears, and I LOVE it. This is how the truck should have been. Shifting is not at all "funny", the truck still knows exactly what it's doing. My speedo is off some undetermined amount that I still need to work out. But the truck shifts much nicer, has more power, feels stronger, and I don't feel like I'm riding around in 1st gear or anything. In my opinion, Ford gears their trucks too high to begin with.

If anything, my mileage went UP. I'll know for sure after another tank of gas or two, but I am pretty sure it's up by a MPG or two.

I have never had any tranny troubles (Jay knocks on wood). My rear end did go out (it's a few threads down) which is why I now have the Auburn and gears.

Is it worth $1300 just for gears? Hell no. I had the dealer install everything (gears, and Auburn Pro) and I'm out $1010 total (including parts AND labor). My dealer gave me gear lube and friction modifier for free.

If it was me, I would find another dealer.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:15 PM
when i said $1300, I meant for EVERYTHING (New L/S Carrier, Gears, Oil and additive, And Labor.

Would anyone like to post there rpms at 70?
Maybe some Gas mileage too.

I think i might just go for the change!
Having a hard time making up my mind!
Bigguy

Quick Reply: Gear Swap Pricing