Leakage from CV joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2002, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leakage from CV joint

I noticed that my front passenger side wheel well looked sprayed with oil/grease after returning from a ski weekend using my 4WD.

The Haynes manual says: "Oil leakage at the right inner CV joint can indicate a leaking axleshaft housing tube seal.

Remove front axle assembly and have seals replaced."

Has anyone experienced this? Should it be repaired immediately, or can I just regrease the joint? Is Ford going to "hose" me?

Old 03-13-2002, 01:14 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Inspect the joint immediatly. If there is a hole in the boot it will get bigger and let in dirt which will destroy the joint. If there are signs of contamination in the joint it must be diasssembled and cleaned and rebuilt. Pay now or pay later, it is your choice. A torn boot will cost you.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-13-2002, 06:36 PM
Re: Leakage from CV joint

sdcoppola

I would agree that you should have it checked and fixed immediately. Each time that axle shaft turns (if there is a leak) it let's out more and more grease and make more room for dirt and water. Once you start hearing a clicking sound when you turn, it's too late..

Like JMC said, pay now or pay later. I have a feeling you will be paying a lot more later. If it is caught at an early enough stage (before the joint goes, the joint is saved, the joint can be repacked with grease and a new boot can be put on.

Old 03-14-2002, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I guess that the dealer is unavoidable in this case. The truck is not my daily driver, so it has been in the garage, I will take off the tire and look at the area closer to determine if dirt has gotten in the boot.
Then I will take it to the dealer and see if he can regrease and repack it, without replacing the whole thing.

No matter what I do, I will pay. thanks

Quick Reply: Leakage from CV joint