When to replace battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post When to replace battery?

My truck a 97 is now 5 years old and still has the original battery.would it be wise to replace it now before it leaves me stranded? Do you get any kind of warning before they go out?
Thanks.

------------------
Dennis

Old 04-08-2001, 04:39 PM
Wow! 5 years?? Amazing.

If you have the power seat, do the lights dim when moving the seat with the engine running? If so, you will need a new battery soon.

Batteries are funny. Some will let you know way ahead of time that they're going bad. Others will seem fine until the day if not the instant it decides to go south. Luckily even fewer will blow up when you start the engine like one did in my old truck a few years ago.

At 5 years, I'd be looking for specials on batteries. If you see one you like on sale, go ahead and replace the old one.

Old 04-08-2001, 08:17 PM
Exclamation

Keep the battery CLEAN, and it'll last many years!. Our family car battery is 8 years old and is strong as ever. I read up on keeping the top of the battery as clean as possible which will keep slight amounts of current from going from the pos to the neg and killing it quick. Seems to work at my house...... .

Old 04-08-2001, 11:28 PM
My dad had an 87 gm that lasted almost ten years! He replaced it ONLY after the side post rotted off! ( I tookm it to work and tested it and found that it still performed very well on a load test) My 92 Taurus's shot craps after 6 years. HOWEVER I work at a dealer and have seen em fail in a couple months. IT all depends on usage, maintainance and if you got a "good one". Dad's was used only for a long commute that NEVER alowed the battery to become discharged. He kept it clean and well tied down. Short trips are hell on them, as is deep discharge and not securing them properly to the car. I would say though that no battery lasts longer than the original one installed at the factory, as a general rule of thumb. Battery technology has progressed alot in the past years, so I guess I would not worry about it till it gets hard to start, then buy a high quality replacement.

Old 04-08-2001, 11:31 PM
invest in 60 bucks and get a new battery ask instate for a blemish battery cheap battery as good as brand news

Quick Reply: When to replace battery?