Should we accept this???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Should we accept this???

I was just informed that "axle wind-up" is just accepted in the 4x4 world. (When you turn sharply in 4x4 and your wheels bind.)
I can't believe it. Massive complaints to your dealers would get this fixed and everyone just accepts this. If I had known about this problem before we bought it, we'd own a 4x4 that didn't bind when turning. Lets complain and get this fixed. (Please!)

Old 04-12-2001, 11:08 AM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, welcome cyberdad. I was on this site for about 3 months before I ordered my truck.
I don't think you understand. We have "part time" 4x4. This means that when engaged, you have basically a solid front axle with both wheels turning at the same rate of speed. Axle wind occurs because when you make a turn, the inside tire wants to turn at the same speed as the outside tire. Physics make this impossible. This is however the best system for true 4x4 traction in bad conditions like mud, snow sand etc. Add a limited slip rear and you have the closest thing to 4 wheel under power as possible. It is not meant for driving on roads. This can not be fixed as you would like by complaining to the dealer. The solution is to buy a vehicle with "full time" 4x4 which is actually "All Wheel Drive". These systems have a front axle that is similar to the rear end of any car where making turns allows the outside tire to turn freely and avoid axle wind. You only have power to ONE wheel at any given time and therefore makes it the better system for soccer moms driving on wet or snowy roads.
It's one system or the other. If you just found out about it, you should have bought a subaru wagon. It won't bind.

------------------
2001 F150 XLT SC SPORT 4X4 FLARESIDE
* Black
* Auto
* awesome factory 10 spoke 17" wheels
* "MAN"ual shift 4x4
* 3.55 Limited slip
* Captains chairs W/console
* Factory tube steps
* Slider
* FORD bedliner

[This message has been edited by JDF (edited 04-12-2001).]

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-12-2001, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never heard of a good 4x4 system that doesn't "wind-up" when turning in a high-traction environment (like asphalt). Some CAR all-wheel-drive systems don't bind, but that is because their driveline isn't mechanically linked. Also, some SUVs (our Ford Expedition) have viscous-coupled drivelines to help prevent binding. However, these are not generally considered as "tough" as gear or chain-driven systems. Besides, even with it's viscous system, our Expedition still has some "hop" when turning in A4WD or 4x4.

Think about what is happening when you turn:
No two wheels follow the same arc during a turn. This means that all four wheels must undergo different numbers of rotations. When your driveline is in 4x2, only 1 rear wheel gets engine power. The other wheel and two front wheels are free to turn as they please. So, nothing gets in a bind.

When in 4x4, one rear wheel (right) and one front wheel (left) are mechanically locked together by the transfer case. That means that these two wheels must turn the same number of rotations or some something must "slip" to allow different rotations. Of all the components working to provide motion (tires, axles, gears, driveshaft, transfer case, transmission, engine), I'd prefer that tires lost traction & slipped, hopped, wound-up, whatever you want to call it.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2001 4x4 F350 SD XLT CrewCab LWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, HD Suspension Pkg, 3.73LS, TT mirrors, 6-disc CD changer, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, GoRhino nerf bars.
NoMo's site

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-12-2001, 06:26 PM
Cool

You are talking about on pavement or hardpack right? If so these guys have covered it. If it happens in the snow or mud, you have a problem. The front axle should not be "winding" up anyways. It's not a solid axle (assuming you have a F150).

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

[This message has been edited by 2000 F150 4x4 (edited 04-12-2001).]

Old 04-12-2001, 11:05 PM
Well I'm not trying to step on anyones toes here, but it really annoys me when something doesn't go as expected and they think that its wrong and so they decide to try and turn everyone to thier pov without looking into things very far. I'm not saying that has happened here, but I get a slight hint of that. A few more details would help, what kind of terrain were you on, bascially what were the exact conditions when this happens.

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat
Ext Cab Short Box
4x4 Off Road Package
3.55 Gears
285/75 R16 Kelly Springfield Trailcutter RTs

My 2 cents worth

If you're gonna stroke it, POWERSTROKE IT!!!

http://www.powerstroke73.homestead.com/

Quick Reply: Should we accept this???