Sport Truck Option vs Off Road

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2001, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Sport Truck Option vs Off Road

I am pretty close to ordering a new F150 and the Sport Truck option vs the Off Road option is perflexing. I like the 10 spoke 17" wheels on the Sport Truck option much more than the 17" Off Road wheels. On the other hand the suspension parts that come with the Off Road package are very desirable. Any recommendation on how to get the best of both worlds?

Old 04-10-2001, 01:12 PM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

I assume you would be getting a 4x4 sport.
If so, the only thing you would be missing is heavy duty shocks and skid plates both of which you could probably do better with aftermarket.
You would actually gain the sport cloth interior, leather wrapped steering wheel and color coded bumpers and mirrors and of course the 10 spoke wheels.
Tire tread is different but both are 17". ORP tires are a little more agressive where the sport 4x4 has all season tread. Probably a better choice for roads anyway.
Choice seems pretty clear.
See my sig.

------------------
2001 F150 XLT SC SPORT 4X4 FLARESIDE
* Black
* Auto
* awesome factory 10 spoke 17" wheels
* "MAN"ual shift 4x4
* 3.55 Limited slip
* Captains chairs W/console
* Factory tube steps
* Slider
* FORD bedliner

Old 04-11-2001, 12:57 AM
I have a 2000 Sport 4x4. When I bought mine the wheels were the same, so that was not a factor in my decision. Mine has the class III tow package which includes the heavy duty shocks. I also have skid plates as a separate option. I ended up with the same suspension as the ORP. After 20,000 miles I'm starting to get more body roll and a little more bobbing over bumps, so the heavy duty shocks are starting to wear out. Ford also has not been putting in an upgraded radiator with the tow package, so if you don't tow the class III package may not be worth it.

I would reccommend getting the Sport package if you like the wheels more and getting the skid plat option. If you don't plan on towing I would skip the the Class III tow package and spend the money on some good aftermarket shocks.

There was another discussion about 4x4 sports.
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/002473.html

Here is info about the radiator problem. You may be able to get the upgraded radiator, but you may have to fight for it.
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/003646.html

------------------
2000 XLT Sport 4X4 supercab
5.4 Auto, 3.55 ls, Class III Towing Package with correct radiator!!, 17" ORP tires/wheels

Mods: Rhino Liner, Extang tonneau cover, 9005 fog lights, airbox removed
Wish list: Gibson SS, Rancho RS9000s

Old 04-13-2001, 01:53 PM
JDF, thanks for the claification. It's amazing how little the Ford sales people know about their own product line. I noticed in other chat streams the reference to the sport option interior only being available in the dark graphic. Do you agree with that?

Your assumption is correct that I will be ordering a 4X4. Looks like it will be 5.4L flairside in Chestnut metallic. Since I will be getting the Sport option with color matched bumpers, I better pick up some clear stone gaurd material to protect the paint. I appreciate any comments from you.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JDF:
I assume you would be getting a 4x4 sport.
If so, the only thing you would be missing is heavy duty shocks and skid plates both of which you could probably do better with aftermarket.
You would actually gain the sport cloth interior, leather wrapped steering wheel and color coded bumpers and mirrors and of course the 10 spoke wheels.
Tire tread is different but both are 17". ORP tires are a little more agressive where the sport 4x4 has all season tread. Probably a better choice for roads anyway.
Choice seems pretty clear.
See my sig.
</font>

Old 04-13-2001, 02:44 PM
The sport option only comes in 4 exterior colors

Black, white, red, silver

Old 04-13-2001, 02:49 PM
When I went to order my truck I looked at both options. And there are many plusses and minuses to each.
Sport: + 17" rims, sport interior
- 17" rims (have you seen the limited tire options on 17" rims?), painted bumpers (cheaper to make, easier to chip), that obnoxious 4x4 sport orange sticker.

ORP: + heavy duty shocks, skid plates
- 17" rims, dorky sticker,

Some solutions, to get an ORP equivalent: order XLT w/tow package (get hd shocks, and big radiator {or so you hope}, order with 265-75R16 tires {turn out to be the same diameter as the 265-70R17's on the ORP}, get skidplates from the dealer, $132.

------------------
2000 F150 SC SB 4x4 XLT
Trition 4.6 Romeo, 5 sp manual, Factory class III tow package, sliding rear window,
3.55 LS pumpkins, P265/75R16 BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A's

Mods: Lund Deflecta-shield II, K & N filtercharger, Gibson 3" side swept cat back exhaust, Superchip!, Class III draw-tite front receiver hitch with custom made receiver skid plate, push bar, and winch frame.Warn 4x removeable steps. Pioneer DEH-P7200 Organic EL CD-Player, Polk EX-572A speakers, John Deere spinner ball.
NOW WITH F75Z-8005-GA 2.2" 2 CORE RADIATOR (replaced 4/2/01)

Old 04-17-2001, 12:53 AM
JDF
Talking

REMO,
2001 F150 sport is right. You are limited to four colors in the sport model and you are correct that only one color is available for the interior. Probably because of the special seat fabric so they don't have to make that in different colors.

Trending Topics

Old 04-18-2001, 04:37 PM
I have the 2001 red 4x4 sport and I love it. I took the yellow 4x4 sport sticker off the day after I bought it. If you plan to off road alot go with the off road pkg otherwise the sport is just as good and the 17" wheels are my favorite part of the package.

------------------
2001 xlt,Super Cab 4.6,4x4,5sp,3.55 rear, Bright Red, 17inch, 10 spoke factory wheels

Old 04-21-2001, 07:26 AM
Sounds like its a choice between body color and wheels. The 2 packages are pretty similar. As stated you can always buy aftermarket shocks, wheels, skidplates,etc. My job requires driving around construction sites so the ORP is good for me, but I wouldn't have hesitated getting a Sport if the price was right, and then maybe ordering skidplates. I agree with the previous post about the decals, they are getting tackier each year. Mine also found their way to the trash bin!

------------------
2001 F150 XLT Supercab 4WD ORP 5.4L, Black clearcoat, Downey SST cover....Yellow ORP fender decal REMOVED!!!

Old 04-22-2001, 09:56 PM
JDF
Talking

Trash the stickers?
I figure between the 4x4 option and the sport option, I paid about $3500.00 for those stickers... and they're stayin.
(sure wish they were silver though)

------------------
2001 F150 XLT SC SPORT 4X4 FLARESIDE
* Black
* Auto
* awesome factory 10 spoke 17" wheels
* "MAN"ual shift 4x4
* 3.55 Limited slip
* Captains chairs W/console
* Factory tube steps
* Slider
* FORD bedliner