Limited slip axle in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Raoul said...

I have never seen a single post that said:

"Someone ordered a truck with LS. Now I have it and I don't want it. How do I take it out?"

I had a '00 Scab 5.4 w/o LS (Bought off of a lot)and got tired of burnin' rubber with any kind of throttle on dry pavement.

Wound up trading it in on an '01 Scab 5.4 with LS and am glad I did. (I also wanted other options). I think LS should be part of the Trailer Tow package.

It snows here near Chicago and I pull a boat. A 4x4 does not make sense here cause if it snows hard the other 4 million people are stuck and nothing moves.

It's better on wet streets also when pulling out into traffic.

Old 06-11-2002, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're on ice and the back end slides sideways into a car parked on the side of the road because of your LS diff then an open diff won't let you do anything. You'd probably slide backwards. It's a matter of control. Then again, when the sh*t hits the fan I just pull the 4x4 lever, never experienced relying on rear wheel drive only without that lever as an insurance policy.

When my factory LS dies I'm getting something more solid like a detroit locker or an eaton.

Old 06-11-2002, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In really slippery conditions a non limited slip differential will also spin both wheels as most of us in the colder climates can attest to. You can't count on an open rear as being a failsafe traction control device.

Aside from trying to traverse an occasional icy road, most of the rearend wag can be controlled through judicious use of the accelerator pedal. I'll take the limited slip over an open diff any day.

Quick Reply: Limited slip axle in the snow?