Limited slip axle in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Limited slip axle in the snow?

I am planning on ordering a 4X2 2002 Supercrew in the somewhat near future. Since I won't be doing any heavy towing,(maybe just a couple of hundred pounds in my small cargo trailer) I believe I will go for the 4.6 over the 5.4.

I live as far south as you can get in Ontario Canada and we don't get very heavy snowfalls very often. Unlike my neighbours across the river in Buffalo NY.

I'm sure there is no real need to purchase a 4X4 for the driving I will be doing but my question is do I need to order the limited slip 3.55 axle? I know it's not alot of money but I'm courious as to how you seasoned F150 vetereans feel about it.

If I don't order it will adding weight in the box over the winter work just as well?

On another note...........how many of you out there are Canadian? I have only seen one Supercrew on the road since I started looking into purchasing one and that one was a work truck. This is a good thing for me since I hate to follow the crowd.

Thnaks for your time and opinions.

Old 05-06-2002, 06:16 AM
I live near Alliston Ont. (close to Barrie) and do not have LS in my truck. I tow with it but not in the winter. My truck was a little bit loose feeling with the factory Firestone Wilderness HT's on it but since changing to Bridgestone Dueler AT's it is much better. I don't add any weight to the back in the winter but I have a cap on it so that adds approximately 150 lbs. I don't feel that I "need" LS, but if I was to factory order the same truck again I would probably add it. I bought mine off the lot so I got the truck the way it was built. GlennMc.

Old 05-06-2002, 09:08 AM
CH-

Generally, the LS in the snow/ice question gets strong opinions for both sides here. I do drive in winter snow/ice and I prefer the LS in all driving conditions. Being careful to control the rear end from wagging is easily done and the increased traction is very evident IMO.

Old 05-06-2002, 09:21 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

If you are buying off the lot, go with the whatever the best deal is, if LS isn't important to you.

If you are ordering, get the LS. There have been many here how have asked about costs on converting to LS aftermarket and it is always more expensive than just ordering from the factory.

I have never seen a single post that said:

"Someone ordered a truck with LS. Now I have it and I don't want it. How do I take it out?"

The only option that I think is a better value than LS is the power driver's seat. Unless you happen to be the exact same size as the maniquin Ford used when designing the interior.

Old 05-06-2002, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
Glen, I've been to the potatoe capitol of Ontario many times. Next time I'm there I'll keep an "eye" out for you and your truck.
Thanks

Old 05-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Get the LS and add weight. My old 99 4x4 had an open rear end and I was in 4x4 all the time. Couldn't even pull the boat up a wet ramp without hitting the 4x4 switch. My new 02 with LS is a whole different animal. ALMOST don't need the 4x4. If you have to deal with snow at all get the LS.

Old 05-14-2002, 01:39 PM
I have a 2x4 with LS and am sold on the LS. I got it because I pull a boat up a ramp regularly. It definitely has helped. I also agree it is one of the best option values. However, it does take a little technique to use it effectively. Just gunning it will still result in slippage. When rising out of the ramp I like to set a little parking brake so as to bias the rear wheel with more torque.

I have read some posts where guys claim the thing wants to fish tail in rain or snow, but I have never experienced this.

I use 4 x 50lb deck blocks in the rear end year round just to soften the ride a little. I also have a cap that weighs about 180lb.

Old 05-17-2002, 01:37 PM
Although I now live in the great warm south, I learned to drive in Michigan. The general threory up there with LS was for normal on road driving you didn't need 4-wheel drive in the snow if you had the LS option. I drove a truck on a regular basis without LS in the winter, without a top over the bed. It's an amazing thing with the snow it goes in your truck bed about the same time it hits the ground. The added weight of the snow and the 50 lbs of salt/sand (just in case) seemed to help the handling of the truck on slick roads. I was sure to put a layer of ice on the snow to keep it from blowing out. I never lost control in all kinds of driving conditions.

Old 06-04-2002, 02:06 AM
get the 5.4l.....its definatley worth the money

Old 06-04-2002, 07:32 PM
You don't need a 5.4 with the small trailer you want to tow, besides without the 4x4 system your truck will be a lot lighter and the 4.6 will be plenty effective.

Those who are against LS diffs probably don't have one on their rig!

My old 90 Ranger 4x4 didn't have a LS rear and I used to spin a rear tire in the wet from stop lights on a regular basis (heavy go foot). Anyhow, moving on the the F150 with an LS rear was like night and day. Sure... if you give it enough gas it'll get sideways sometimes but that's fun too, beats sitting there and smoking one of your tires while everyone else is across the intersection already.

It's pretty good in the snow too, especially with the Goodyear AT/S tires v.s. RT/S hockey pucks. I don't put any weight in the back, just pull the 4x4 lever. Keep in mind putting A LOT of weight in the back may help traction but will hinder you coming to a stop on ice!

Old 06-05-2002, 10:41 AM
I agree with a lot of the other posts. If you are ordering your truck - add the LS. It isn't very expensive. If you are buying off the lot, take what you can get if it isn't that crucial to you. If I ordered this truck again, I'd get the LS for peace of mind.

My rig has the 4.6 and it does just fine under everything I could ask of it. Not the most powerful, but I knew that and accepted that as part of the deal.

I have the 3:08's and an open diff on my truck, and I get around just fine in the winter. I have a cap that adds over 100 lbs and I add about 280lbs of sand over the rear axle in the winter. I also dumped the all season tires and put on all terrain tires (First Firestone Wilderness AT's, then Bridgestone Dueler AT's). That made a major difference. I've never been stuck and I log a lot of miles! (Odometer is currently at 149,000 miles).

Old 06-05-2002, 06:36 PM
nice to see another brothern.

well I'm in MB wayyyy up north.. 2 hours from tompson..
we get ****loads of snow and I don't have 4x4.
I bought a 2000 ext cab. I am now looking to upgrade my rear axel to a limited slip(I want 2 rubber patches instead of 1)
I've heard that it can acually cause you to slip and slide in winter?

I just slap on 8 ply studded tires and about 150 pounds in the winter and I don't have no problems..

I would say if your getting a new truck get the V8 and limited slip..
look for rear disks to you will want them later..

I got the V6 and no limited slip and drums so I can tell you from experience do it right the first time.(cheaper in the long run)

and as for gas miliage the 4.6 gets better gas milage on the highway and equal in town.. so don't bother with the V6

good luck.

Old 06-05-2002, 10:46 PM
LS isn't all a bed of roses. there's that great continuous wag on icy highways. and if you have an automatic, imagine sitting at a red light, you're on ice, the light changes to green, you ease of the brake, the LS kicks in because of the ice, BOTH rear wheels begin to spin, now you have no lateral traction, the back of your truck slides sideways with the crown of the road, and you're up against the car parked on the side of the street. you don't dare move. been there and done that in frosty minnesota. LS is great for boat ramps in warm climates IMO. if you are in the great white north, 4x4 is the only way to go. LS on ice is bad news. hit the throttle in a corner and expect to see where you've just been as the rear end passes the front.

Old 06-06-2002, 10:44 AM
People who think LS is bad news on ice don't know how to drive on ice. Yes the back end will come around if you HAMMER it on ice but in normal driving it's barely an issue. If you feel the back end starting to slide just let up slightly and it will come right back. This is true whether you are starting from a stop or traveling 70mph down the highway. Been there done that in the Mountains of northern Vermont where we had frost two nights ago.

Old 06-06-2002, 12:45 PM
I agree with BUMPKIN about the LS and how to drive on snow, or any wet conditions. I have an 01 4.2 3.55 LS. I live in New Hampshire and we get our share of snow. I had a 97 4.2 no LS and if I didn't have 4-5 50lbs of block in the back it was tough to get going on any kind of a hill from a start.

As far as what BUMPKIN said it about knowing how to drive and control your truck, car etc in snow, ice, rain etc. If you feel the backend coming around at all just lifting lightly on the gas pedal will stop it, same with if your driving and feel it getting a little lose, with or without LS lighlty lifting on the gas pedal is a world of difference.

I would never own a truck again without LS. I believe its only $300 to $500 for the option no more then $500. I also love when you do decide to punch it on dry payment, leaves TWO nice black marks

Quick Reply: Limited slip axle in the snow?