Clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2001, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch question

Hi All,

My clutch has started to travel a bit differently than it has for a long time - it used to be a fairly fluent motion, but now it seems as if there is not spring action at the top of the clutch, such that the moment i touch the clutch with my foot, it immediately goes towards the friction point - like there is very little spring action left, aside from the clutch itself.

I've never owned a vehicle for this long (2.5 yrs) with a 5sp, just curious if you thing it is normal, tired springs, need clutch fluid, anything of the like,

Thanks in advance.

Bambino

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP/Silver on Dk Graphite - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust; Mobil 1 5w30/Motorcraft FL820-S; Amsoil Series 2k in the diffs. And now, Rockford Fosgate components with that sweet tweeter install!

Old 04-24-2001, 02:30 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bambino,

There could be air in the system. Try bleeding it. If the slave is starting to leak it could cause this.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Hedman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 04-24-2001, 02:43 PM
How do you drive the truck? Do you drive like you are racing all the time? If you do the clutch could be close to being worn out.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4 ORP. Automatic, Reg. cab, 3.55LS, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start, Modern 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, White faced gauges, electronic shift on the fly, Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD, 4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers and superchip. Going to add headers.

Future mods: Supercharger, headers, NOS, tranny upgrade(heavy duty gears, clutch packs, etc.), performance torque converter, bore engine 30 over, new pistons, crank, and rods, performance heads, new L if they still make them and I like the way it looks, and a Z06 Vette or BMW Z3.

Click here to see more pictures

Old 04-24-2001, 04:26 PM
Thanks JMC, i'll look at it tonight.

Kingjames: it's a 4x4, so no i don't race it around. in fact i drive it quite easily, until i put it in the muck - but i'm off the clutch when i'm 4wheeling anyways. But more importantly, the clutch does not feel like it's worn out - just that the pedal travel is different recently, over what it was during the first 50-60k.

I'll post results.

thanks again

Bambino

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP/Silver on Dk Graphite - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust; Mobil 1 5w30/Motorcraft FL820-S; Amsoil Series 2k in the diffs. And now, Rockford Fosgate components with that sweet tweeter install!

[This message has been edited by bambino (edited 04-24-2001).]

Old 05-21-2001, 07:05 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Lightbulb

You can check your clutch the following way.
1: engage the emergency bake fully
2: place truck in 5th gear.
3: bring rpm's up to about 2,500-3,000 rpm's
4: let the clutch out slowly until it begins to engage (do not raise the rpms just hold at 2500).
5 if the truck begins to stall or does stall then your clutch is fine. If it engages and the truck continues to run then it is slipping and needs replacement.

this is the best way to tell if you have a clutch problem.

------------------
1997 F-150 XLT 4.6 REGULAR CAB, FLARESIDE PACIFIC CLEARCOAT GREEN 5-SPEED. WESTIN NERF BARS, POWER EVERYTHING,BUG SHIELD, EX-TANG SOFT COVER, BED LINER(FORD).

Better 1/2 : 92 Red T-Bird.

Quick Reply: Clutch question