MaxMitchel?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question MaxMitchel?????

Max,

My truck is in the shop and I am waiting for my buddy to call to pick it up, my question is, reading raiderraicing tech info on the gears breakin, they mention to drive slow for the first 15- 20 miles, let the diff. cool down and then continue, well you should know what I am talking about, what makes me confused is they dont mention to change the gear oil after 200 miles of breaking, here some recommend 500 miles raider mention 200 miles, here they say to change the gear oil after the breakin, I even made a search in the net and no company recommend this issue, there's no problem on my side to make the oil change if it's necesary I bought enough Amsoil for both diff and subsequent oil changes, your opinion would be appreciated anyone else that want to get involved would be appreciated

Old 05-17-2002, 04:55 PM
dragonboy-

My personal recommendation is to change the oil after the gears break in. Don't bother doing it at 200 miles; do it shortly after 500 miles. This will get rid of gear coating, metal particles, and gear marking compound. Open the fill plug and check the magnet for debris at 250 and 500 miles; clean off as necessary. Many skip this first oil change (like most new cars), but top-notch mechanics don't. The first time that I open up a transmission or rear end, I install a drain plug. A simple way to put one in the rear end is to drill and tap a 1/8 pipe thread in the bottom/center of the housing and install a brass pipe plug.

Last edited by max mitchell; 05-17-2002 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-29-2002, 10:53 PM
Hey Max!

Things looking good now , truck drives the way I wanted it from the beginning, smoooth aligator like the song says, thanks for all your advise, Oh! by the way I getting near to gear oil change, should I change front too, I haven used the 4x4 after gear install, just wondering....

Old 05-30-2002, 09:23 AM
Thumbs up dragonboy-

I'm glad to hear that everything went fine on your installation. I agree, the truck should have had those gears from the factory. You're more than welcome for any small help that I gave you. Yes, change front and rear oil. You're signature of mods looks spectacular. You must be glowing with pride.

Old 05-30-2002, 04:14 PM
Max

I am sorry, you did from the beginning, what happened was that I had lost my password and couldnt get in with my original login name had to creat one and that was 5.4Y2K, about the sig did not make any sense until this upgrade now, I feel proud