Shifting into 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting into 4x4

1997 5.4 manual shift transfer case.

My truck has started shifting into 4x4 on its own. A couple of times in the past it has stayed in 4x4 but the indicator has shown it as being in 2x4. I suppose that the transfer case is in need of being replaced but I would like to see if anyone has any other ideas. Is there anything else that could be causing this?
And if It seems that I will have to replace the transfer case what is the best way to go? New or used? Where to buy?
Thanks
Darin

Old 06-24-2002, 11:29 AM
It could be that the front automatic hubs are sticking in the "on" position even though the transfer case is in 2H.

I can't remember now if it's a vacuum motor or electric solenoid which actuates the front diff. You may be able to check it with a vacuum gauge.

Lift up the passenger side front tire. If the front diff and transfer case are disconnected it should spin freely. If the front driveshaft turns there's a problem either with the actuator or the mechanism in the diff.

Automatic front hubs is a misnomer. Actually they are permanently on but one side of the ring gear is disconnected in the diff itself.

Perhaps someone else with more experience can explain it.

I suppose you've tried driving in reverse for a hundred feet while moving the steering wheel from side to side to help unlock the front diff?

Old 06-24-2002, 01:22 PM
Both times when it was locked in 4x4 I was able to get it out after driving it by mistake on the pavement. So that is not a issue at this time although it could be part of the same problem. The problem now is it will briefly shift in 4x4 on its own.
Thanks
Darin

Quick Reply: Shifting into 4x4