Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Best Fluid for Auto?

Any idea's for what is the best ATF for my auto
trans?? Synthetic or What??
Paul

Old 06-29-2002, 08:54 PM
Post I haven't heard any....

....compelling reason to use anything but Mobil One ATF, as long as it meets your truck's spec. Some Ford trannies require Mercon V, and that is a proprietary synthetic blend. If your truck requires Mercon V, I recommend sticking with Mercon V; otherwise, read the specs in your manual and compare them to Mobil 1 ATF.....i think you'd be pleased.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:21 AM
You have a Ford 4R70W transmission. It requires an ATF fluid that meets Mercon V specifications. In 1998, Ford began to require Mercon V fluid for this transmisison. Previous 4R70W's used regular Mercon. Ford specifically designed Mercon V to cure transmission shudder and it has different charactoristics.

Synthetic is not necessarily better. It's only true advantage is that is doesn't break down so quickly as it heats up so it tends to offer better protection and longer drain intervals. As long as you change the fluid regularly and don't overheat it, regular dyno oil works fine and costs a lot less.

If you really are concerned about the life of you transmssion, you need to install an auxiliary transmission cooler and change the fluid every 20,000 miles. If you tow anything, you also need to install a transmission temp guage and change the fluid every year.

I'd personally just use Motorcraft Mercon V. You should also add a drain plug to the pan while it's off.

Since you also seem to be performance minded, you should search the site for info about Transgo shift kits and Sonnax vavles. They will both improve the performance and durability of your transmisison and the cost is minimal compared to the advantages gained.

Old 06-30-2002, 01:04 PM
Thanks AjRagno for the input. I'll look into the performance mods for the trans, anything to inprove overall performance on the V6.
Paul

Quick Reply: Best Fluid for Auto?