Excessivly hot floor board??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Excessivly hot floor board??

I own a 2001 F-150 XL 4X4. I had the passenger seat out for a couple of days to install an amplifier. I have noticed that the floor board right under the passenger seat gets very hot. Too hot to even touch. Is this normal? Is there any fire danger with this when the carpet is on top of it? Any help would be great.

Old 06-29-2001, 06:25 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by harting:
I own a 2001 F-150 XL 4X4. I had the passenger seat out for a couple of days to install an amplifier. I have noticed that the floor board right under the passenger seat gets very hot. Too hot to even touch. Is this normal? Is there any fire danger with this when the carpet is on top of it? Any help would be great.</font>
harting,

I believe the passenger side is where you'll find one of your exhaust pipes. I think Ford uses a dual exhaust pipe/cat. converter assembly but with only one muffler. If you were check the driver's side, it should have the same characteristics, as an exhaust pipe runs under there too.

You could check the heat shields, etc. and see if you find anything missing (i.e. a heatshield that is on the left exhaust pipe that's not on the right).

If nothing is missing, I'm sure Ford wouldn't equip its trucks with a fire hazard, so I doubt the carpet would catch on fire. If it did, there would be some rather interesting posts on this board about spontaneously combusting truck cabs. I wonder what forum that would go under? Interior care?

Old 06-29-2001, 09:48 PM
Hey just like the nascar guys, some of them have to whear insulated shoes the floor is so hot! Anyways you mentioned you pulled the seat for a few days. Did you remove any insulation and not put it back? Did you run an amp wire under the carpet that could be getting hot?

-Jon

Old 07-01-2001, 12:16 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ford4ever:
Hey just like the nascar guys, some of them have to whear insulated shoes the floor is so hot! Anyways you mentioned you pulled the seat for a few days. Did you remove any insulation and not put it back? Did you run an amp wire under the carpet that could be getting hot?

Ford4ever:
The carpet is still out. I ran out of time to install the amp and just have the drivers seat back in right now. There is no carpet in. I noticed it when my wallet was sitting on the floor and I picked it up. It is really hot and just wanted to make sure that this couldn't catch my carpet/insulation on fire. Any ideas?

-Jon
</font>

Quick Reply: Excessivly hot floor board??