Rear Axle Whine

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear Axle Whine

Hi all , i have a 02 4x4 with 7,000mi and a 3.55 LS rear end and have developed what i guess is rear axle whine.

It's a slight but annoying whine which sounds loudest around 45 mph coasting or very slight gas pedal on levelish roads
also can hear the same whine under light throttle at 55 mph. I noticed the 45 mph whine when i bought it but brushed it off because it wasnt loud, now since its warmer outside i hear it more and more.

What are my chances the dealer will even hear it and fix it? They all seem to have "so called" hearing problems whenever you take them out to listen for noises. Its not loud , but noticeable with the stereo off and the windows up.

Chris

Old 07-26-2002, 11:52 PM
The back lash on the rear end could be off. Take it to the dealer, they should either adjust with shims or replace.

Old 07-27-2002, 02:23 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 3:55's made no noise at all. My 4:30's make a little but this is common for taller gears (so I am told). Still I can hardly hear them. I think this should be taken care of under warrentee. It is not normal.

Last edited by WLF; 07-27-2002 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-27-2002, 09:44 PM
WLF

What is that on the billet grille, a Ford emblem? Looks cool if it is...

Also, didn't you get the Powertrax, how's that holding up? Any desire for one in the front?

Sorry for going off topic...

Old 07-27-2002, 10:15 PM
WLF
cpadpl,
It's called a blade runner and is off a 2000 Ford Taurus.
Here's another look

The powertrax is holding up very well. Has some real precarious characteristics but works well. I think the 4:30 gears multiply most of the precariousness. If I had it to do over I might go for one of the better limited slips.

My truck is a 2wd. No place to put front gears.

Last edited by WLF; 07-27-2002 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:13 AM
WLF

Man that's nice...How does one go about getting them, and how do they affix to the billet grille, I presume you have to get one specially made for the bladerunner, but I doubt a Ford Taurus grille fits the F-150.

Also, could you elaborate on the precarious characteristics of the Powertrax? I have a 4x4 that will eventually be out of extended warranty, so I probably will plan on doing something when the OEM LS needs replacing. I'm still very interested in people's experiences with the Powertrax and Auburn. The thing I just don't understand about the Auburn is that it says you have to use non-syn oil, and I don't want to have to change my diff fluid more often. You'd think in this day and age they'd realize that everyone is going to synthetic in every respect...

Again, sorry to go off thread topc...

Old 07-28-2002, 01:23 PM
Chrislee: I have the same sort of whine that your truck has and also have had it since new(2001 F-150,SC,2WD,3.55 rear,5.4 L). The dealer I bought it from changed rear gears and brgs at around 15k and it did not reduce the whine. At about 22k, the rear gears & brgs were changed by a dealer in Maryland, and no reduction in whine. Both times I had the cooperation of a good Customer Rep who unfortunately has since left the company.

Old 07-28-2002, 11:26 PM
WLF
cpadpl,

Ill put this info in a seporate post.

Last edited by WLF; 07-28-2002 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:00 PM
SM
The local Ford dealer rebuilt the differential twice on my '01 Screw due to an annoying whine at 40-50mph, once at 12k and once at 34k, but the whine remained. Finally, with 35.8k miles, Ford engineering conceded that there was probably a casting flaw in the housing such that the pinion depth could never be properly set, and authorized the dealer to replace the entire rear axle assembly, guts and all, less the axle shafts and brakes. This seems to have licked the problem (knock on wood with crossed fingers). Must give my compliments to the service advisor for persevering and seeming to work for me instead of against me, as so many seem to do.

SM

Old 07-30-2002, 12:52 AM
SM,,,thanks for that post . The cause of the whine being a defective housing had crossed my mind after the 2nd time they put in new gears and bearings and the whine persisted. But it was reassuring , when I read your post, that the housing was the culprit. Which dealership/service advisor worked with/for you on this problem ? Did you contact a Ford Customer Rep. or did the dealer's service advisor alone handle Ford ? I now have about 27 K but I would like to get rid of the whine soon. I had the impression that a Ford Customer Rep. was needed to communicate with the Ford engineers and then the FCR would have to authorize the "fix" so that the dealer would not charge the customer. ........................After the 2nd fix did not work,,a Ford engineer told my Cust. Rep. that he was aware of the problem and that it was also happening with Mustangs.

Old 07-30-2002, 09:15 AM
SM
znstr,

I was working with Audubon Ford in Baton Rouge, LA. I personally did not contact any Customer Service Reps, but I am sure the service advisor at the dealer was working with the "proper authorities" including customer service reps, Ford engineering, etc.

SM

Old 08-18-2002, 11:05 PM
SM : A late thanx for your last 7-30 post on dealer info....

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Whine