Need disassemby instructions on front 8.8 axle, please

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2002, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need disassemby instructions on front 8.8 axle, please

I need instructions on removal and repair of a 97 F150 4x4 8.8 axle. It seems that the bearing that the front axle rides on that connects to the CV halfshaft is badly worn ( not sure if you call it a differential side bearing or an axle bearing. I can move the flange about 3/16 up and down, there's no back and forth movement and in and out seem find too. I wanna see what I'm getting into and if I can do it myself.
If anybody would be so gracious to send me a copy of the dissassembly instructions and exploded views it would be a great help, heck I might even mail you some money. I have a Haynes and Chiltons and they do not provide a breakdown of the axle, so I need a clip from like the factory service manaul on CD that some of you have.

Old 09-04-2002, 09:20 PM
I have a word document with the exploded views I can email you if you want. Email me at mlh@hawk1.us and I'll forward it to you.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:51 PM
Maybe I am sort of back to square one on this a little. I know mine is a little worn and I can see very very minor seepage at the seal.
The reason I think I am back to the start is. I had a friend stop by work today with a 97 F150 4x4 ext cab long bed w/ 75K. His front diff had play in the smae area mine did. Mine may be a bit worse but it's still there on both models.

Also my thought of the steering shaft may be incorrect as well. His truck has some play in that shaft too so that leads me to think that it's normal as well. The two shafts looked similar execpt his had a long rubber boot covering the middle section. Mine is all open with no boots.

I gotan appoint. at dealer Friday morning, lets see what the experts say.

Quick Reply: Need disassemby instructions on front 8.8 axle, please