Sirius XACT Visor install

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sirius XACT Visor install

My brother bought me the Sirius XACT Visor for Christmas (celebrated with his family last night). I installed in it an easily reachable area and ran the antenna wire out the 3rd brake light just an hour ago. I still have to hook the power up through the fuse box this weekend. I used the bracket that came with it to attach to the windshield and then used the 2-sided tape to attach it to the dash.

The install through the 3rd brake light was a snap! There are 3 holes in the sheetmetal where you can see the headliner once the light is off. I ran it through and pushed the end toward the back window. Then I went inside the truck and pull all of the slack out of the wire and hid it along the top drivers sideto teh A pillar, down the A pillar, under the dash and then along the bottom of the console hidden under the console edge by the carpet.

Here is some info on it http://tinyurl.com/avmme

Last edited by BlueFlareside; 12-30-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks good. I have the xact visor as well and will probably mount it in the same place. How about some pictures when you hook it into the fuse box. I would like to do the same. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Interesting mounting location..

Old 12-31-2005, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by alboston
Looks good. I have the xact visor as well and will probably mount it in the same place. How about some pictures when you hook it into the fuse box. I would like to do the same. Thanks.
I hooked it up today to the fuse box but did not take any pics. I ran the wire in the crack where the console meets the dash and then hid it all the way to the fuse box. I attached the power to fuse 1 (10 amp Acccessories fuse). I then attached the ground to a piece of metal near the fuse box. It now turns on when I start it and works great.

Last edited by BlueFlareside; 12-31-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
Interesting mounting location..
Thanks....I think

Old 12-31-2005, 08:50 PM
I tell you what, one thing about this unit that sucks is actually trying to mount it on the visor! That damn little triangle shaped (what looks like a remote sensor) thing on the top makes it almost impossible to get a good grip on the visor. What boneheaded MIT graduate designed that?

Old 01-01-2006, 10:20 PM
My wife just got one of these for her birthday. Works pretty good. My question is, am I stuck having to use the FM transmitter or is there some way to hard wire it into a factory stereo? It'll probably stay in her car most of the time since we take it for all long trips.

Here is a hardwire cable I found for the power supply. Scroll down to related accesories it's on the left side of the page.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
I tell you what, one thing about this unit that sucks is actually trying to mount it on the visor! That damn little triangle shaped (what looks like a remote sensor) thing on the top makes it almost impossible to get a good grip on the visor. What boneheaded MIT graduate designed that?
I wondered the same thing but the whole unit can be flipped over and the display can be rotated 180 degrees to work upside down. The only drawback would be that the text on the buttons would then be upside down.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by BlueFlareside
Thanks....I think
I didn't mean that negatively. Just a different location, thats all!

Old 01-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
I didn't mean that negatively. Just a different location, thats all!
I figured as much. I am always looking to be a little different. It is the rebellious engineer in me.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:23 AM
I also got the Xact Visor mount because it was cheap and I will be replacing it with an indash Kenwood DDX8017 that will have Sirius unit in it.
Anyway, this is how I mounted mine. I hard wired it to the cigarette lighter wiring. It has an auto off feature so if I forget to turn it off it turns itself off before the battery dies. I took out the top plate of the dash and cut the rubber piece so the mount would adhere to the plastic tray itself. I also just ran the antenna on the dash. It doesn't ever loose a signal (unless tunnel, underpass for extended period of time, you get the idea) Here are some pictures. SOrry the sun was in the darn way and I couldn't move it.

Front view of it mounted, I think it flows with the interior nicely.
[IMG][/IMG]

Underside where the wires go through the hole I drilled. The white wire you see is the hooked to the auxilary through a PIE adapter. This is also long enough to hook my Ipod too. I just pull it out for the Ipod and push it back in when I listen to Sirius.
[IMG][/IMG]

This is a better shot where you can see the antenna and the unit.
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 PM
Never seen one mounted there before. Does it get in the way of shifting in and out of park?

Also...just a heads up, I didn't see anywhere where you stated if you but a bead of silicone around the antennae where it meets the third brake light. If you didn't, you might want to. Some of these third brake lights are notorious for leaking.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Nice job....

Old 01-26-2006, 04:48 PM
Thrill Racing,
Nice install. I was thinking about installing it up there but did not want to drill any holes in the interior.

FX4_Guy,
No, it does not get in the way of shifting at all because it is high enough to be out of the way. It is also just out of the way of getting the keys into the ignition.

I did not run any silicone. I went to Home Depot and bought "Door and Window High Density Foam Tape Weatherstrip, 3/16" Thick, 3/8" wide x 17' long for a few dollars. I attached it to the metal of the truck where it would be lined up to the foam on the underside of the light assembly and no more leaks. Just run it all the way around the rectangular opening and then tighten the screws down to seal it up. I dumped a gallon of water all over the 3rd brake light and into the slot where the wire comes out and no leaks.

The one that I bought was Item # 02253 http://www.mdteam.com/products.php?category=221

Last edited by BlueFlareside; 01-26-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:09 PM

Looks like a radar detector from the outside.

Quick Reply: Sirius XACT Visor install