Installing an Allen Engineering M-90 10 lb blower, here I go again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:36 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installing an Allen Engineering M-90 10 lb blower, here I go again.

It’s time for me to start a new post.
I’ve lost some of my enthusiasm lately with the price of fuel and having to remove my blower. Had another failure of the Powerdyne and decided to go with an Allen Kit.
I contacted Scott at Allen engineering and he just happened to be ready to remove an almost new kit from his 2006 4.6 truck so he could develop a kit specific for that truck. Using the Generation 1 kit required some modifications to the fuel lines, so he wanted to develop a Generation 2 kit that would fit without modifications.
So He made me an offer on a very low mileage complete kit less the fuel stuff and the lower intercooler stuff. Since I had the fuel stuff and the lower intercooler stuff I said "HELL YES".
Another cool thing is this was a 9 lb kit. Since my truck is an early 4.6 and it came with an 8 rib serpentine belt system, he had to give me a blower pulley made for the 5.4 engine. That pulley is a little smaller then the 4.6. The net result should be about 10 lbs boost.
I received the kit in less then a week packaged very nicely with the intake and blower completely assembled. This is a really nice product. It is nicely machined and very complete.
Since then (about 6 weeks) I have been waiting for a tune from Mike Troyer. The tune came in on Wednesday and so here I go.
Anyone who has read my posts knows I have a built short block with Mahle forged pistons and Manley Sportsman H beam forged rods. I race balanced the crank and installed an MMR high flow oil pump and ARP studs throughout. Then heads are stock reworked PI. I also have JBA stainless coated shorty headers.

While waiting for the programmer I installed a header back exhaust with duel high flow Magnaflow cats, duel 2 ½ inch stainless pipe all the way to the muffler and a Magnaflow muffler duel 2 ½ inch in with single 3 inch out exiting in front of the rear wheel passenger side. The first muffler I used was the smallest (14 inch small body) Magnaflow makes and it was ungodly loud. I could not stand it at highway speeds. I replaced it with a 20 inch Magnaflow (large body) and it is now actually a little tamer then I wanted but when you open it up, it barks like a mad dog. This is probably going to be a good combination since I tow a heavy trailer. The system is all stainless so I shouldn’t have to do this again for a while.

I already started taking pictures of the stock engine bay. I will try to document the install. It looks pretty strait forward.
Most important; I will document the results.
Stay tuned.

Last edited by WLF; 09-25-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:20 AM
Sounds like your going to have a nice set up.
But at 10 PSI the M90 is going to put out a lot of heat.You may want to think about adding a water/meth kit to it to help keep things cool.

Phil

Old 09-24-2006, 10:23 AM
WLF
The Allen Kit has an integrated water to air intercooler; very similar to the Lightning.
I was using a Vortec water to air aftercooler with my Powerdyne so I have a Lightning lower heat exchanger, reservoir and pump. The IAT sensor is located in the Allen intake just over the #5 cylinder and reads the actual air temp after it passes through the intercooler and just before it enters the engine. Very safe and should do a good job of cooling the charged air.
I'll know exactly what the temp is when I data-log.
Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 PM
WLF
Ok here are some pictures for your viewing enjoyment.
First this is how it started, stock after removing the Powerdyne (see my signature above).

Here is the Allen kit boxed real nice

Out with the old and yes, Mr. Mouse did try to move in

Old 09-25-2006, 10:42 PM
WLF
All cleaned up ready for the blower

All the fuel stuff bolted on the Allen (note 42lb injectors)

Heres the blower just set in place and bolted down, this is the last time you will see the blower

Old 09-25-2006, 10:48 PM
WLF
Everything bolted on except the intake. This kit is made real well, everything fits the first time and no surprises.

Blower? What blower? Do you see a blower? My truck is just fast!!
Talk about stealth!

So tomorrow I refill the fluids, change the oil, load Mike's tunes and off for a test drive.
I'll let you know how it goes, wish me luck...

Old 09-26-2006, 04:18 AM
Good luck with it.
My first blower set up was a Allen kit.Very nice.But when you see the air charge temps at 10 psi you will want a W/M kit.
I had it at 10 and 1/2 psi and I needed the Water/Meth kit to cool it down even with an intercooler.

Phil

Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice fit. So, the snout support uses the old alt bracket supports? Pretty slick.
It looks like your original Powerdyne coil pack relocation worked OK with relocated alt as well. Too easy!!

Old 09-26-2006, 10:31 AM
WLF
ONELOWF,
Good eye, yes that is where the snout support bracket bolted up. The coil pacs worked from that location but with this kit I could put them back in the stock location. I left them where they were because I butchered up the Drivers side bracket modifying it to fit on the passenger's side. No problem, just a little tight across the front. Nothing is touching so it should be good to go. I'm ready to fire it up tonight. Can't wait…

Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WLF
ONELOWF,
Good eye, yes that is where the snout support bracket bolted up. The coil pacs worked from that location but with this kit I could put them back in the stock location. I left them where they were because I butchered up the Drivers side bracket modifying it to fit on the passenger's side. No problem, just a little tight across the front. Nothing is touching so it should be good to go. I'm ready to fire it up tonight. Can't wait…
I too have the skeletal remains of the drivers CP bracket from the Powerdyne adventure. I suppose that with the wiring extended and soldered it's not worth trying to move it back. Good luck on the maiden voyage.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WLF -
Please keep the reports & photos coming. I am following this thread with great interest. I have an '05 4.6 that I am looking to make into a better tow vehicle. The Allen seems to be the only supercharger option out there. The real sticking point is the cost. Almost $5K for the kit and the local speed shop with experience in modular supercharger installations is quoting $2k. OUCH!! Not sure I'm going to be able to justify (or afford!) $7k for 90hp and 100fp torque and still have all of the other towing limitations of an F150.
-steve

Old 09-27-2006, 12:09 PM
WLF,

Good call with the Allen kit. I have one on my tbird and love it. One thing I did with my m-90 was ported the heck out of it on both the blower and inlet side. The exhaust side doesn't need much work if it's a newer blower. No dyno numbers with the ported blower and new built motor yet.

If ya need anymore info on that kit or even suggestions on the blower, e-mail me or stop by sccoa.com because all those cars use the M-90.

Personally I'm trying to get get a m112 blower adapted to the kit now.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:44 AM
Very nice install.

....interested to see how it performs with that lightning reservoir and whatever type of heat exchanger you have.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Looks good!

Do they still use that pivoting bracket to stabilize the alternator? I don't see it in your pics.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:45 PM
WLF
Just an update.
I ran into some problems not related to the blower. I will finally have them worked out completely today. That is mostly because I have been in no hurry since the truck is no longer my main vehicle.
I have had it out for a drive but did not really dog it with a WOT run. It seems to be tuned very conservatively. It's fast but not what I expected. I think I was a little faster with the 10 lb Powerdyne but only comparing it to a WOT run. I will tell you I am able to easily hit 10 lbs even in 4th gear without downshifting. Once this thing is dialed in it should be a screamer. I have everything I need to do the data-logging except for a laptop. That will be the last step to see where the timing is and what the intake temps are.
Another unanticipated item is the noise. I did not know these blowers are as loud as they are under boost. I am told the sound becomes a NICE noise. My wife hates it.
I got a 7 inch Derale fan to put on the Lightning heat exchanger and modified the Lightning reservoir to accept duel outlets from the intercooler. I originally had the two outs combined into one but that seemed to me it would slow down the flow and thus reduce the cooling. The fan is to prevent heat soak while idling at stop lights and such. Some put two fans on but I think one will be sufficient for my purposes and I already have a lot of electrical draw (electric fans, electric fan cooled transmission cooler, aftermarket stereo with separate amp for subwoofer and all power windows/locks, alarm) so I want to keep additional electrical demands to a minimum. This fan only uses 4 amps. I plan to run the fan all the time since I can't think of a way to turn it on only when I am stopped, except a manual switch which would be a PIA.
I will put pictures of the latest modifications up soon and let you know when I do finally take it out for a GOOD test run.

Wittom, yes they still use a pivoting bracket. You can see it in black on the passengers side of the alternator. The drivers side bolts directly to the intake. Then there is a bar from the top rear of the alternator that then goes rearward and also bolts to the intake. The end result is a very secure alternator.

Later,
WLF

Last edited by WLF; 10-11-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Installing an Allen Engineering M-90 10 lb blower, here I go again.