OBD sensors not ready!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD sensors not ready!

Ford F150
Super Crew w/ 5.4liter

I am in the process of buying my next F 150, the truck won't pass inspection though because the obd readiness codes for the catalyst and both o2 sensors are not ready yet. I have driven the cycle recommended by ford and put almost 200 miles on it. I'm wondering if it could be a bad cat converter or o2 sensor except it is not pulling any codes. The dealer has told me to just keep driving it unti its ready or a code pops up. Should i be concerned? Any help would be great since I want to finish this deal.

Thanks,

Geoff

Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the cigarette lighter work? I think the fuse for it has something to do with the KAM
(keep alive memory). Might be wrong with that, but there is a fuse that can cause that problem (KAM).

Or you can put a GOOD scan tool on ot and check the O2's

Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by jgger
Does the cigarette lighter work? I think the fuse for it has something to do with the KAM
(keep alive memory). Might be wrong with that, but there is a fuse that can cause that problem (KAM).

Or you can put a GOOD scan tool on ot and check the O2's
Lighter works, is their any other fuses to look at?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try the search for KAM, I found this one it mught help.
OBD Readiness status

Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 PM
There is a small fuse box, on the 97-98's, in the driver's side fender well, close to the firewall. There are 2 fuses in the box, the first one, closet to the nose of the truck, (5 amp fuse) keeps voltage to the PCM after the key has been shut off. If the fuse is bad, or the circuit is faulty, it will cause the PCM to forget everything, thus each time you start it up, it has to "relearn" everything. I'm not sure if the 2004 has the same setup.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You'll have to force the monitor to test. Look to the company drivecycle, follow procedure. Do this two or three times if you have to, - safely.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 98TritonXLT
Hey 98, your progress link is 404'ed. Not working.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another possibility

I know this thread is a couple years old, but I had the same problem with my 2006 F 150 5.4. O2 sensors, O2 heater, and catalyst were not ready. Turned out it was the fuel pump driver module. It's located behind the spare tire on the driver's side. The part number on the box is 4L3Z-9D370-A, part number on the part itself is 5L8A-9D370-AA. It cost about $120. I scoured the forums for a solution to the problem, but never found it. Had to take it to the dealer. Never threw any trouble codes or check engine light. Hope this helps someone out.

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Blackhawk2
I know this thread is a couple years old, but I had the same problem with my 2006 F 150 5.4. O2 sensors, O2 heater, and catalyst were not ready. Turned out it was the fuel pump driver module. It's located behind the spare tire on the driver's side. The part number on the box is 4L3Z-9D370-A, part number on the part itself is 5L8A-9D370-AA. It cost about $120. I scoured the forums for a solution to the problem, but never found it. Had to take it to the dealer. Never threw any trouble codes or check engine light. Hope this helps someone out.

wow this worked, I put 1600 miles on a truck I had sold an still wouldn’t clear untill I seen this. I replaced the module an with 5 miles everything set. Thank u for posting

Old 12-14-2021, 12:28 AM
SGd
Solution

Originally Posted by Blackhawk2
I have a 2006 F150 4.2 V6 and after driving 4000 miles computer was not ready, after replacing the part mentioned, it become ready only 2 miles later.
Hope this helped someone.
I Got the part on amazon for like $45.

Old 09-12-2022, 09:12 AM
monitors not ready

I have a 2004 lariat with 5.4 that wouldn't pass inspection monitors wouldn't set after replacing o2 sensors and exhaust manifolds more for the exhaust leaks I tried to get monitors to set at driving over 200 miles couldn't get them to set I came across this thread I replaced the fuel pump driver module and in 10 mins problem solved ..thank you to whoever figured this out.

thank you again all for the information

Old 01-03-2023, 09:26 AM
before replacing fuel pump module driver did your fuel gauge quit working when this happened?
thanks

Last edited by hebedog; 01-03-2023 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:29 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
You'll have to force the monitor to test. Look to the company drivecycle, follow procedure. Do this two or three times if you have to, - safely.

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

Assuming that there really is nothing wrong with the truck, this is correct. There's nothing wrong with my truck. I replaced the battery. Battery cables were disconnected, and the memory was cleared. It took almost two months, before I finally got all of the monitors to clear. The last to clear was the EVAP. I set up my phone to monitor the EVAP, and according to the gauges; it took about 45 minutes of freeway driving before the EVAP system ran through the testing and completed.

Following the drive cycle conditions is a lot harder than it sounds. You simply can't do every step, in the prescribed order, in live traffic. You can set up FORScan with a bunch of gauges so that you can see it when the various sensors and monitors are actually doing what they are supposed to do. This is one of the most frustrating and nerve racking procedures when your car actually does need to pass a smog check.

What you want to see is this:

This may, or may not, help:

Old 09-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Hey Geoff, sounds like a bit of a tricky situation. If you’ve already driven the recommended cycle and put 200 miles on it without the monitors setting, there could be an underlying issue even if no codes are showing yet. Sometimes, a pending issue with the O2 sensors or the cat won’t trigger a code immediately. It might be worth having the dealer check for any pending or history codes with a more detailed scan tool. Worst-case scenario, it could be a lazy O2 sensor or catalytic converter issue. I’d proceed with caution and maybe push the dealer to get this resolved before finalizing the deal. Good luck!

Quick Reply: OBD sensors not ready!