Lift kit installed now having some tranny issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011 | 02:17 AM
|
Lift kit installed now having some tranny issues?

Hey guys! I've had my lift kit installed for a little over a month now, and for the last 2 weeks or so I've been noticing a jerk whenever I accelerate from a stop. It feels like the transmission is having some troubles... I took it to the dealership and they updated the transmission and drive train but I'm still having issues! Anybody have any ideas before I go nuts a blow up my town?? Thanks!

Old 10-05-2011 | 08:06 AM
What size tires? What's the factory gear ratio? And did you regear?

Old 10-11-2011 | 01:11 AM
|
35x12.5x20 wheels and It's 3.55... I haven't regeared. One of my buddies said he had the same problem with the coils or something having trouble pumping fluid or something I'm not really sure... Know anything about that?

Old 10-11-2011 | 06:06 PM
Sounds like the bigger tires with the 3.55s could be straining the transmission. How many miles are on the truck? The transmission could have been starting to go before you put the lift on, but not really noticable, and the larger tires are putting more stress on it. You should consider re-gearing soon with some 4.56s so that the transmission isn't under as much stress.

Old 10-19-2011 | 11:09 AM
|
I got the problem resolved guys! The problem was that the fluid in the rear drive shaft had gone completely dry. So the dealership just had to take that off and re-oil everything and the problem seems to be fixed! Much better! And it was covered under warranty ha

Old 11-05-2011 | 02:35 PM
glad you got it fixed. are you planning on re-gearing, with 4.10 or 4.56?

Old 11-06-2011 | 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by BigBlackFx2
I got the problem resolved guys! The problem was that the fluid in the rear drive shaft had gone completely dry. So the dealership just had to take that off and re-oil everything and the problem seems to be fixed! Much better! And it was covered under warranty ha
i didn't know there was fluid in the rear driveshaft huh maybe i should check mine cause its probably all gone!

Old 11-07-2011 | 01:17 AM
|
No I don't think I'm going to regear just yet... Yeah its just transmission fluid. It wasn't a big deal it didn't sound like.

Old 11-08-2011 | 03:22 PM
Fluid Balancing in the driveshaft? I had a 2004 with a bad rear end setup. Replaced under warranty.

Old Yesterday | 12:03 AM
Originally Posted by BigBlackFx2
Hey guys! I've had my lift kit installed for a little over a month now, and for the last 2 weeks or so I've been noticing a jerk whenever I accelerate from a stop. It feels like the transmission is having some troubles... I took it to the dealership and they updated the transmission and drive train but I'm still having issues! Anybody have any ideas before I go nuts a blow up my town?? Thanks!
Lift kits change the geometry of oil distribution, they keep transmission guys in business. Air becomes suspended in the oil and that air causes cavitation on every metal part it touches. It's one thing to know how to install additions to a truck, it's something else entirely to understand how changes to the system work.

Quick Reply: Lift kit installed now having some tranny issues?