Persistent Issues on my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm reaching out to the community because I've been dealing with some perplexing issues with my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8, and despite my efforts, I haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause. I'm hoping some of you might have insights or suggestions that could help me get to the bottom of this.

About three months ago, my truck started randomly shutting off when I came to a stop. My initial troubleshooting led me to change the fuel filter, but unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue. As I dug deeper, I discovered an EGR code, prompting me to perform an EGR delete. Surprisingly, the truck ran fine for about two weeks, but then a new set of problems emerged.

It began to sputter and misfire, exhibiting a lack of power and acceleration. After reaching 20mph, the truck seemed to stabilize, but it started shaking and running rough when coming to a stop or taking off. In an attempt to address the issue, I replaced the spark plugs and coils and installed a new fuel pressure sensor. However, these changes didn't yield any improvement.

In a somewhat desperate move, I decided to gut my catalytic converters. Strangely, immediately after doing this, the truck ran even worse than before. But, after a day or two, it miraculously went back to normal. Currently, the truck runs fine when driving, but occasionally, when coming to a stop and taking off, it experiences a sudden loss of power and acceleration, only to kick back and run fine again.

I've exhausted my current knowledge and resources, and I'm turning to this forum in the hopes that someone may have experienced similar issues or could offer some guidance on what steps to take next. Any suggestions, insights, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Old 01-26-2024, 06:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It might get asked, what code reader you have.
In line with your furl filter, and I'm no pro....
Fuel pump
MAF " loose wire"

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-01-2024, 11:04 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by PedroB
I'm reaching out to the community because I've been dealing with some perplexing issues with my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8, and despite my efforts, I haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause. I'm hoping some of you might have insights or suggestions that could help me get to the bottom of this.

About three months ago, my truck started randomly shutting off when I came to a stop. My initial troubleshooting led me to change the fuel filter, but unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue. As I dug deeper, I discovered an EGR code, prompting me to perform an EGR delete. Surprisingly, the truck ran fine for about two weeks, but then a new set of problems emerged.

It began to sputter and misfire, exhibiting a lack of power and acceleration. After reaching 20mph, the truck seemed to stabilize, but it started shaking and running rough when coming to a stop or taking off. In an attempt to address the issue, I replaced the spark plugs and coils and installed a new fuel pressure sensor. However, these changes didn't yield any improvement.

In a somewhat desperate move, I decided to gut my catalytic converters. Strangely, immediately after doing this, the truck ran even worse than before. But, after a day or two, it miraculously went back to normal. Currently, the truck runs fine when driving, but occasionally, when coming to a stop and taking off, it experiences a sudden loss of power and acceleration, only to kick back and run fine again.

I've exhausted my current knowledge and resources, and I'm turning to this forum in the hopes that someone may have experienced similar issues or could offer some guidance on what steps to take next. Any suggestions, insights, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

clearly it’s throwing codes, and lacking maintenance

Old Today, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds like you’re dealing with a complex set of issues, and I understand how frustrating it can be when the problem seems to persist despite all the steps you’ve taken. Based on your description, it seems like you’ve already addressed several key components, but there are a few areas that might still need attention:

1. Vacuum Leaks: Sometimes, intermittent power loss and rough idling can be caused by a vacuum leak. It’s worth checking the intake manifold and all the vacuum hoses to ensure there are no leaks or cracks.
2. Throttle Body and Idle Air Control Valve (IAC): These parts regulate airflow into the engine and can cause rough idle and loss of power when malfunctioning. Cleaning or replacing the throttle body and IAC valve might improve the situation.
3. Oxygen Sensors (O2 Sensors): After gutting the catalytic converters, your truck’s O2 sensors might not be getting the correct readings, which could cause erratic engine behavior. If these sensors are faulty or sending incorrect data to the ECU, that could explain the power loss and misfires.
4. ECU and Tune: Given that you’ve performed an EGR delete and gutted the catalytic converters, it’s possible that your ECU is still adjusting or not correctly tuned for the changes. A custom tune might be needed to align everything with the modifications you’ve made.

Since you’re already considering different modifications, I’d also recommend checking out Dieselino, where you can explore various delete options and tuning solutions to further optimize your setup: https://dieselino.com/collections/ford-2018-2019-3-0l

Quick Reply: Persistent Issues on my 2004 Ford F150 4.6 V8