Tools, Tool Boxes, and more All things tools, and storage

Looking for a shallow toolbox or alternative options

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 10:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a shallow toolbox or alternative options

EDIT: Forget this post. After much thought I'm just going to get a tonneau cover and a sturdy storage box. That plus the beneath seat storage should be enough and I can put the storage bin inside the cab if I need the entire bed.

Hey there. It's been eons since posting on this site, but I have finally left the stone ages and replaced my '04 with a '23 so here I am again. Ok, enough of that...

I have a CamLocker crossover box on my old truck. I love it; however, I have recently taken up kayak fishing and the toolbox takes up valuable space in the 5.5' bed. With a bed extender I can safely travel with it, but now that I have a new truck I'd like to do it differently.

Ideally I'd like something like my CamLocker, but a wee bit shallower. Maybe 6" shallower or so. That would allow the bow of the kayak to slide beneath it to the front of the bed. I am not seeing much online except for UWS or someone has a low profile box, but it's very shallow and only about 3.5 cu. ft. That seems pretty small to me as my old one is approximately 10 cu. ft. and I use half of it at all times and all of it sometimes. I could use spacers beneath a new box, but I don't want to block my rear window.

Do you guys have any suggestions for companies that offer low profile boxes? Any other storage solutions I should consider? I posted in a kayak Facebook group and someone suggested Swing boxes. I like the idea of the Swing box because it would allow for a tonneau cover as well, but they appear to cover the tie down points which I need for the kayak.

A trailer or roof rack isn't an option because the kayak is too heavy for me to lift and most of the places I go aren't trailer friendly.

Last edited by mstaszew; 02-29-2024 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2024, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For a shallow toolbox, I’d recommend checking out Kobalt options. They offer a range of toolboxes that might fit your needs well and are known for their solid build quality. Plus, you can often find them in stores to see them in person before buying.

Quick Reply: Looking for a shallow toolbox or alternative options