Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

It's good to be here

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's good to be here

It's good to be here online with other F150 owners to swap info. I handle a lot of the maintenance on this truck myself. I own it, it's my weekly driver. I've had several used cars throughout the past 20 years, until I bought this F150 last year. I'll research a repair project here online then order the parts then complete the repair. I'm in an apartment so I only take on small repairs. I don't pull motors here they don't allow it.
since I bought it last year, I've had the rear main seal done, and the valve cover gaskets done. I'm still dripping so I'm trying to get some info about removing the belt, then fan, then the balancer to remove the front seal then replace it. I'm sure it's a leaky front seal because I took it to a car wash then degreased the area, I'll attach an image of the leak.

I replaced a leaky a/c manifold hose last year too then had a recharge, all went well until recently the a/c hasnt been so great. It maybe a compressor. I hooked up my a/c gauges and the pressure on the high side was at 150psi, the low side was 25psi then would fluctuate during the compressor cycle between 25 and 50 psi's. I'm not seeing any leaks so it's possible it's a leaky condenser or internal compressor failure.

I had a leak in the rear window so I pulled the rear window then resealed it with butyl tape. What a job it was because the previous owner squeezed what looked like epoxy into the area where it was leaky then squeezed epoxy behind the third tail light.
I had to cut out the tail light from the trim, then had a hell of time removing the glass because of the epoxy. I got it all out and back together and am happy now it's all dry when it rains. I got a new tail light, only $20 very nice. I got an idea to buy a topper in a year or two so I may pull the rear glass back out to install a slider to mate with the topper.

So I work on it a few times a year, getting some repairs made. I got rear ended a few months after I bought it so I need to get the rear bumper from salvage to replace that. Luckily the salvage yard here is loaded with Ford parts. It helps to have a salvage yard close by to pull specific parts.
it helps to find a forum too

for pictures and diagrams. good to be here.
Thanks

Last edited by Fordtech12; 07-05-2024 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-06-2024, 08:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Old 07-06-2024, 10:22 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
How about some truck details?

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-07-2024, 10:55 PM
2003 F150 XL 4.2L manual transmission
It's just over 225 000 miles, so I can't say I'm content because the previous owner didn't take very good care but wanted to sell as though they did.
They shouldve junked it but i bought it, im stuck with it so Ive been over at the junk yard pulling parts. Im happy to drive a Ford, i like Ford. The emissions code is up on the dash so after i get the oil to stop dripping we'll see if its burnin it too. No way to really tell unless we get the oil to stop dripping then check the levels.

2003 F150 XL sport

Last edited by Fordtech12; 07-07-2024 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2024, 11:43 PM
glc
Almost the exact same truck as mine, except mine is Arizona Beige. 208k on mine, I've had it for 18 years.

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by glc
Almost the exact same truck as mine, except mine is Arizona Beige. 208k on mine, I've had it for 18 years.
You ever had a fan clutch go out? I was wondering about the fan clutch in the 4.2L because there aren't any wires coming from it. It's filled with fluid I wasn't sure if it's prone to failure.
I had an issue with my last vehicle where the fan motors were failing intermittently, sometimes they spin then sometimes they dont. I ultimately figured ot out after hooking up a cpu scan tool attached to my laptop then realizes i was running too hot but not hot enough to overheat.
which leaves me to my next question, is there a software available for download to record the engine performance during trips ?
thanks

Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
glc
Still original fan clutch. Only times it ever overheated were when the lower radiator hose blew off, and when the idler pulley seized and the serp belt popped off.

Quick Reply: It's good to be here