Recommendations 1999 Ford F150 XLT Flareside 4X4 tire/wheel upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 12:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendations 1999 Ford F150 XLT Flareside 4X4 tire/wheel upgrade

I am currently running Michelin Defender LTX M/S 255 /70 R16 tires on my stock factory rims. My truck has no lift or leveling kit installed. I am currently doing a host of Mods to my truck, from simple things to a new throttle body, K&N Cold Air intake, and more. I have the 5.4L V8 Triton motor and a 3.73 geared rear end with the tow package from the factory. With my current setup, I can currently pull a 9700 lb trailer with no effort.

I want to replace my stock wheels with a set of American Racing 16 X 10 with a .25mm offset. They fit the truck perfectly.

My question is, I also want to add a set of four (4) Mickey Thompson Baja Legend EXP 305 /70 R16 tires with a tire diameter of 33.1" and a width of 8-10 inches. They weigh 58 lbs per tire, roughly the same as what I am running now. I have included images of each item I am looking at.

I get mixed feedback if it will work on my truck or not depending upon who I speak with. Many people tell me the tire will fit and work without any modification, but a few have said I am at my maximum tire size now with eh 255 /70 R16. I have a boatload of room in each wheel well, so I know I am not at max. With the tow package, my truck already sits higher from the ground than most stock F150 trucks,

Does anyone have any experience with this size wheel and tire combination on an F150 with my configuration? I would love to hear real-world feedback versus somebody sitting in a call center who has never ridden in a truck.

Stock truck now before upgrades.

American Racing Wheel Upgrade being considered.

Old 08-07-2024, 10:25 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
A few issues. I don't know whether they will fit with no interference, but the maximum recommended rim width for that size tire is 9.5". When your speedometer reads 60, you will actually be doing 65. You will need a programmer and tunes to correct this, and your towing performance WILL be less.

A larger throttle body won't do anything for you, and the oil on a K&N filter can foul the MAF.

Quick Reply: Recommendations 1999 Ford F150 XLT Flareside 4X4 tire/wheel upgrade