Timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2024 | 03:41 AM
|
Timing chain

I'm working on a 2005 F150 5.4 3 valve, 225,000mi. I can see the cam sprocket thru the oil fill hole in the passenger side valve cover, without the chain on it- I can see the chain sitting behind it. I asked the owner what exactly did it do? Make a hell-of-a-noise, then stop running? They said: 'No all it did is the oil pressure light came on then it started missing. Then it kept dieing on me that’s all it did. The engine light didn’t come on until after it died on me and quit.' I know the 5.4 is an interference engine- my question, I guess, is should I be prepared for the worst? Be ready for a complete teardown?

​​​​​​​

Old 10-22-2024 | 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Nat_Toy
I'm working on a 2005 F150 5.4 3 valve, 225,000mi. I can see the cam sprocket thru the oil fill hole in the passenger side valve cover, without the chain on it- I can see the chain sitting behind it. I asked the owner what exactly did it do? Make a hell-of-a-noise, then stop running? They said: 'No all it did is the oil pressure light came on then it started missing. Then it kept dieing on me that’s all it did. The engine light didn’t come on until after it died on me and quit.' I know the 5.4 is an interference engine- my question, I guess, is should I be prepared for the worst? Be ready for a complete teardown?
​​​​​​​My '01 is a 2V and yours us a 3V, and '05, was a first almost, of 11th gen. I feel, being no expert, he might be honest, bit not realize what he is actually saying. You seem to understand the concept. You must assume the worst, and hope it is not. Used replacement engine might be simplest... 3-4k$. ReMan, not rebuilt, worth the extra 500+.

Old 10-26-2024 | 09:18 PM
|

I drained the oil 🛢 in that truck into a bucket 🪣 and poured into a jug- that's what was left in the bottom of the bucket 🪣 --I cleaned out the bucket 🪣 before I drained it

Old 10-26-2024 | 10:45 PM
glc

Quick Reply: Timing chain