Patman03 box revisited

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Patman03 box revisited

Well i pulled out my box in mid december due to rising theft rate in my area. While i had it out i planned to redo the box.

Last time the box was in the truck it had a cargo ratchet strap around it holding it together.

I started by replacing most of the screws from 1.25" to 1.5" screws

Then i bought some fiberglassing materials and started experimenting...

First step is of course alot and alot of sanding

Then actually start glassin'

Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Global Moderator &

I fiberglassed the top and bottom and rear corners. still need to do the nose, but i was itching (litterally) to put the box in and see how it sounds.

I plan on doing front end and one more layer once weather warms up a little.

then im going to "kitty hair" it and get it ready for paint. I am gonna have it sprayed in gloss black and then cleared.

I want to do something nice with the area between the seats on the back wall. I think i might cut more and put a clear panel in and put the amp on a full rack in the wall....
-Patrick

Old 01-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks good man!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What kind of glue did you use to hold the box together the first time around?

Old 01-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Global Moderator &

liquid nails

but Bartak, the seams on my pieces werent perfect due to so many angles. Every panel on my box had to be tapered and angled to go together, so the glue can only do so much.

plus i apparently didnt put any screws holding the front bottom to the two sides.

Last edited by Patman; 01-19-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Well the box is coming along great. Kinda got rained on this morning a little bit

I am ready for the Kitty Hair now. Still will need alot of hours of sanding with the several layers of kitty hair i will be doing. Then its off to paint. Ill take some updated pics and get them UL soon

Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Alot of people like that kitty hair stuff... If you find it a pain to work with, I prefer Duraglas. You may like that better, its a bit easier to work and sand.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Global Moderator &

well i hooked everything back up because i wont have money for kitty hair and paint for a while so i might as well enjoy my subs again.

I blew my fuses on my amp b.c i accidently hooked the 12+ into ground and ground into 12+ on the amp Now im off to find 3 40amp fuses

Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Just a few pointers for the next time around.

1) Glass the inside of the box...far less sanding and work.

2) For the outside, you can run a router and a 1/2 roundover bit around the edges, then a very thin layer of body filler to fill the screw holes and seams. Sand that down nice and spray the whole box with high-build primer and block it out, then paint. It will be most beautiful, without a whole lot of work.

Otherwise, it looks like you got a good start. Oh, and next time, watch out for those polarities!! They'll get ya!

Old 02-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Crewwzin
Just a few pointers for the next time around.

1) Glass the inside of the box...far less sanding and work.

2) For the outside, you can run a router and a 1/2 roundover bit around the edges, then a very thin layer of body filler to fill the screw holes and seams. Sand that down nice and spray the whole box with high-build primer and block it out, then paint. It will be most beautiful, without a whole lot of work.

Otherwise, it looks like you got a good start. Oh, and next time, watch out for those polarities!! They'll get ya!
I did that last night in a 2000 Volvo Semi. I hardwiring power for an XM Xpress, I was kinda in a rush as we were under tornado watches/ warnings (I saw one form pretty cool) but I saw white and black wires at cig, assumed white was positive and POOF! that sucker stunk bad.

Lesson learned:
  • Test, Test, Test,
  • Dont be in a semi with bad weather
  • Black is hot sometimes...

Old 02-13-2008, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
I did that last night in a 2000 Volvo Semi. I hardwiring power for an XM Xpress, I was kinda in a rush as we were under tornado watches/ warnings (I saw one form pretty cool) but I saw white and black wires at cig, assumed white was positive and POOF! that sucker stunk bad.

Lesson learned:
  • Test, Test, Test,
  • Dont be in a semi with bad weather
  • Black is hot sometimes...
I personally think it should be illegal for black to be hot in ANY 12V vehicle. I have seen it a couple of times myself, and if it werent for the "test, test, test", it would have stunk bad for me too!

It gets kinda difficult going from residential and commercial electrical (which I do everyday) to 12V. You gotta remember to swap what polarity black is around in your head.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:05 PM
I personally think it should be illegal for black to be hot in ANY 12V vehicle. I have seen it a couple of times myself, and if it werent for the "test, test, test", it would have stunk bad for me too!

It gets kinda difficult going from residential and commercial electrical (which I do everyday) to 12V. You gotta remember to swap what polarity black is around in your head.
I agree. Home Electrical is White - hot, Black - not.

It sucks. Im going to have to buy it probably... It lit up like normal, But damn seeing that white smoke just drift up wasnt fun.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
I agree. Home Electrical is White - hot, Black - not.

It sucks. Im going to have to buy it probably... It lit up like normal, But damn seeing that white smoke just drift up wasnt fun.
Reverse that. Black is hot, white is neutral in 120VAC.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Reverse that. Black is hot, white is neutral in 120VAC.
Er. Ya. Thats actually what I meant. That damn truck has got me flipped upside down.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:03 AM
Global Moderator &

yah well it looks like i burned up my headunit believe it or not. Got some 40amp fuses for the amp and it wouldnt come on. Probed for voltage at the amp on the remote wire and was getting .4 v then probed at the back of the headunit on the remote wire and was getting .3 v Tested the wire for resistance, came back .01 ohms. I jumped the remote wire from the ign wire on the harness and amp comes on just fine. Looks like i burned something internal on the headunit by reversing the polarity. oh well works just fine now, just rigged a little.

The box is fully fiberglassed with 2 layers all the way around, and it pounds. Still need to do the kitty hair and paint, but that will be several weeks from now.

Quick Reply: Patman03 box revisited