Will the Transmission hold?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the Transmission hold?

I've got a 1998 F-150 5.4L with a few modifications done to the engine; I guestimate around 275-300 crankshaft horsepower. My question is if I install a TransGo shift kit, and then later a supercharger, will the stock E4OD internals be able to handle the power level?

-Flea

Old 02-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... Well the older E40-D tranny is not as strong as the newer version 4r-100 (not the LIGHTNING's spiecal 4R-100). Plus by now you will have quite a few mile on your E40-D tranny. I would say in it's current form, or even with a TRANSGO shift kit that it will not last a year with a SUPERCHARGER. Now if you have it rebuilt, and have it built up for the additional forces put on it by a SC then you will have no problems. I know with my stock 4R70-W, even with a BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (big mistake!) I still broke it with only about 285-300H.P (flywheel). Then I had it rebuilt to heavy duty but retained the B/E shift kit and broke the intermediate shaft. This was also caused by the B/E kit. I then got fed up and had a total race/duty build up done on it with a custom valve body and TRANSGO shift kit set on it's highest setting. I also have a 2400 stall converter and my SUPERCHIP has a custom program cranking up the shift firmness about 4 times of what the stock SUPERCHIP program does. I've got over 125 passes on this tranny with no problems what so ever. I would strongly suggest to you to get a really good quality rebuild done on your tranny before going to the SC route. Just my opinion.

Old 02-16-2003, 06:36 PM
If anyone knows their stuff, it's you Neal.

How much did the race setup run you? Did you have a shop do it for you or did you delve into your transmission yourself? Is this something I could tackle with some handtools and a transmission jack, or is it best to have it built by someone else?

-Flea

Old 02-16-2003, 06:58 PM
Cool

HI!... FLEA : I took my tranny out of my truck myself and re-installed it myself when I upgraded to the 2400 stall converter, but had a good friend of mine GARY SR. at WORLDWIDE TRANSMISSIONS do the uninstall/install the 1ST time and build up for me. I won't tackle building my own tranny's. Total cost was like $2400(CAN) and that was including a heavy duty stock stall converter. That would be like $1500(U.S) after the $ conversion. One of the best tranny's I ever had........ now.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:04 PM
I appreciate the help Neal... looks like I've got some prepwork to do this year before forced induction. I hope to eventually get to the point where I can suprise a few L's. Unfortunately, it takes a little more time and money than with a setup like yours. I have about 2000# or so on you with no PI heads. I did find a '99 L in stock trim w/ 55K on her for $18,000

-Flea

Old 02-19-2003, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have never broken a tranny and I am pushing over 370 HP at the wheels.

Crash is pushing 367 out of his 4.6 and has not broken a tranny yet.

Most of my customers are using the baumann shift kit with no issues. Others are using the transgo with good results as well.

Neal you are the only one who has had any issues with the baumann.

with the tranny setup properly it will handle alot of HP. As a matter of fact most are going with the 4r70w setup to handle over 800 hp.

Old 02-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Cool

HI!... SKID : I'm not the only one that has had problems with the crappy B/E shift kit. My tranny builder has seen a ton of failures in the 4R70-W running the B/E kits. I'm the only one here on this board that has had problems with B/E. But in the real world there there are many, many more. I'll stick to my TRANSGO thankyou.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:30 PM
.......aaaaaahhhhh.......brotherly love.......

Old 02-25-2003, 05:53 PM
(No offense ment to your opinion, Neal; just gathering some opinions.)

Skid, do you think that the above setup would hold under a supercharger? I don't think that I'd push much past 400-425 total horsepower out of my engine, and I'm going to be adding a TransGo shift kit to my truck later this year, anyhow. By the time that I have all that on, I'd say I'll be around 70-72K miles. I've run compression tests on the engine, and it looks just fine; replaced the sparkplugs this past year, and done all the routine maintaineance. I've replaced tranny fluid twice in the 38,000 miles I've had the vehicle, and I'm going to do it again (obviously) when I install the shift kit. I do run the truck hard on occasion, but I do also baby it and I am quite particular with my upkeep.

Any other input/experience would be greatly appreciated.

-Flea

Old 02-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Fleas;

Why don't you post this on the transmissions forum and ask for input from Mark K and/or Factory_tech. Seems to me they are the experts on trannies.

BTW, I'm looking at the Factory_tech valve body instead of the Baumann or Transgo for my 4R100. You might want to consider it.

Ian

Quick Reply: Will the Transmission hold?