lightning supercharger question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightning supercharger question

hey,hows it goin? ive had a problem with my lightning shuddering when i gun it. it seems to run alright after its little fit it has, but still dosent seem right at WOT. ive done all things i can think of and its starting to cost me some bucks. after all the things ive changed i noticed the water in the supercharger resevour is still cool after driving for sometime. is there a switch that tells the little electric water pump to run? and could this be causing all the BS?

Old 01-24-2004, 03:03 PM
there is no switch. The pcm commands the operation of the pump. You may have a bad pump if the fluid is not moving.
More likely dirty fuel filter, bad fuel pump, or hose came off your fuel pump(in tank).

Old 01-25-2004, 02:56 PM
thanks for the reply, i have a upper pulley not sure what pound but it pegs the guage. bought this truck from paul duckett/soon to be worlds fastest lightning owner/ and he only had 900 miles on it. ive put 5000 on it and it has always screamed. but i put some fuel additive, nos i believe and the thing started acting funny ever since. truck had a few mods when i got it here they are

prowflow mass air and filter
upper pulley
superchip flip
updated intercooler
bassani headers
bassani no cat x pipe exhaust
3:73 gears

heres what we changed

fuel filter
ngk plugs
o2 sensors front
changed injectors on the leanest side
pulled chip no help
racing no lead fuel
added hi flow cats- sounds like poop now
checked fuel pressure- seemed low but above 40psi
runs good cold bad warm
noticed water in intercooler tank cold and foamy, got hot before

we hooked up a digital air fuel monitor and noticed it did the problem when it was trying to richen up. sometimes we saw 16, 17, 18 when it was shuddering then it would plane out when the air fuel reached 14,13,12. when it finally reached 12 it was running alright. seems like it took to long to richen up. causing it to pop and buck or shudder.

i may need more fuel pressure and a new intercooler water pump if it tests bad.

Old 01-25-2004, 03:03 PM
maybe a sound bite would help

Last edited by pointrow; 01-25-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:26 PM
thanks for the reply. i dont know anything about supercharged engines... but i do know compressed air can get pretty hot. and i do know that this truck would fly when i first got it.
the initial mods to the truck were done sometime ago and it has set for a couple years not driven hardly at all. i dont drive it much now the new is wore off but i want it right. i sure hated to add cats and im sick wacking the bassani's to add them but it will probably be better for the engine.
as far as pegging the guage , i ment the factory boost guage. its raining here today so driving the truck to get a video is out but i will.
one other note, when im going up with the rpm's on a steady roll it seems to do better. it will flutter then pick up and run. seems like its starving for gas but it will run wot after it flutters and shudders. i'm lost but hopeful

Old 01-25-2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Crash!
(the guy I am working with uses the M-112 at 26 PSI),
i dont think so, the eaton cant push more than 18 psi and thats if your lucky i cant get more than 15 psi outta mine and that with a pulley combo that should be good for 20 psi. if your refering to easterisland than he may be pushing 26 from his kb but not a eaton.

Old 01-25-2004, 08:59 PM
the 99's fuel pump line were attached with pinch clamps. i would drop the tank and make sure one of the lines hasn't popped off. while its dropped might as well put some good stainless hose clamps on all the lines. what spark plugs did you put in and what gap size? when was the o2's last changed. what do you mean by replacing fuel injectors? did you flow the injectors to see if they were bad?

Old 01-26-2004, 12:12 PM
hello, i had ford put the plug in. ngktr55 i believe. not sure on the gap. i guess whatever they were gapped at the factory. wasnt sure what they needed to be. we hooked up a air fuel monitor where the first o2 sensors are. one on the left and ran it, one on the right and ran it. one side was way leaner than the other so we changed all injectors on that lean side just to see. that seemed to even the score so we left the new or salvaged ones in. we got a spare lightning engine to rob parts off of. would loose fuel lines still permit the truck to run pretty good at wot. and we replaced the front 2 o2 sensors and it seemed to help some but nothing really has fixed the problem or worsen it at all. i'm leaning to the intercooler pump and the fuel lines. i think pump needs to be workin before even testing anything else. dont want to get something hot and create more havic. i'll try the tank thing and fix that for sure. thank you all.

Old 01-26-2004, 05:33 PM

26 psi with KB and outside ambient temp was around 50. Think about what the temps would be at 100° At least 180° or higher.

Old 01-26-2004, 07:05 PM
do you have the boost bypass unplugged? it may be dumping boost......

Old 01-28-2004, 12:53 PM
What crash said.
blue=speed
green=temp at filter
red=temp after intercooler in lower intake

Old 04-16-2009, 12:05 AM
I neet a complete intercooler systemfor my L motor; heat exchanger, pump, hoses, reservoir. anyone know where i can get it? it is all stock so a stock system wouldn't be bad for me if it saves some money.

Last edited by supercharged88; 04-16-2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I'll trade you my stock parts for some upgraded ones

Old 04-16-2009, 02:28 PM
If it started with the octain booster start there! empty your tank and refill. This is kinda off topic but i had a go cart that i dumped some octain booster in and it ran like crap till the tank was drained and refilled with fresh gas and to be honest it was that same NOS SH@#.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by nordvik72
If it started with the octain booster start there! empty your tank and refill. This is kinda off topic but i had a go cart that i dumped some octain booster in and it ran like crap till the tank was drained and refilled with fresh gas and to be honest it was that same NOS SH@#.
supercharged88 drug up a 4+ year old thread, Im sure the OP has solved his problem by now

Quick Reply: lightning supercharger question