Changing pistons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004 | 12:56 AM
|
Lightbulb Changing pistons?

I am kinda new to the performance scene / turbocharging, however I do know most basics with supercharging theories and turbocharging, but I do not know much about upgrading the internal hardware of the enigne with a turbocharger. My questions are as follows...

Upgrading pistons, what kind of hp gains would my 4.6 get frokm upgrading pistons to a more expensive dished type, but I would like to still keep 87 octane, is this possible?

Basically Im looking to build my motor up hardware wise, with new pistons, new cam, and valve springs, and possible an intake, then adding a turbocharger...

What I am wondering is what order should I complete this, and what components / gains should I expect for the hardware upgrade (natural aspiration).

Like I am capeable of installing pretty much everything myself, but I cant find anywhere an approximate guide of how much hp new pistons would add, or how much more boost I can put into the engine because of the new pistons.

could someone reccomend a good book or some good solutions on how to build a reliable turbo ready street enigne out of my 4.6 2v? already great motor? (it has to be fuel injected and use most of my orig hardware)...

I know Im asking a ****load of stuff in only one thread but I need some advice from some of the experianced people here...

I want my motor to be able to handle high boost and not have to worry as much....\\\

Thank you sooo much if you can help in any way.

Old 09-21-2004 | 12:13 PM
WLF
Gorillam,

First you will get a better response in the engines forum.

All the modifications done to make the lower engine assembly stronger will not net any gain in horse power. The only reason to make these changes is so you can use power adders such as:
-superchargers (at higher boost)
-turbochargers (at higher boost)
-nitrous (at higher levels or with boost)
-much taller cam profiles and improved flow heads so you can pull to higher RPM’s
- up the compression ratio for more power (then you may not be able to use other power adders like a supercharger or turbocharger)

Other then that there is no benefit by adding forged components…so, in conclusion; don’t spend your money on forged components unless you plan to add a SERIOUS power adder. Low to moderate boost can be done safely on your stock engine if it’s in good condition and if it’s done right.

Good luck
WLF

Old 09-22-2004 | 12:26 AM
hi!
first off you should read the book from SHM they cover the 4.6/5.4 very well.
if you are going to change the pistons you should really see how far do you want to take your project. how much power do you want to make? if you just want to add 150 hp. you might not need to change your pistons.

and if you really want crazy power why not just buy a built 5.4? if you put the same amount of boost on a 5.4 you will get alot more tq!

good luck!

Quick Reply: Changing pistons?