Educate Me Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005 | 01:15 PM
|
Educate Me Please

I have a 5.4L 4x4 lariat with magnaflow dual exhaust, and air intake on the way. I dont think I'll waste my money on a tuner chip, what do you think? I know that I want this truck running faster than hell.

What supercharger / blower or turbo do you recomend? I am also trying to stay under $4,000.

Old 02-07-2005 | 12:44 PM
With your budget, I'd check the classifieds and get a used blower. Any of the major setups (ATI, Vortec, Magnacharger, to a lesser degree Powerdyne) should be fine, and you'll be limited to what's available anyways so you can't be too picky if you go the used route.

There's an ATI for sale here:
http://www.got-pressure.com/yabbse/index.php?board=14
(Crash's site, he's a supporting vendor)
Also listed here on this site:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=183508

I got my ATI used, and totally happy with it.

Save your dough and sell your intake, you won't be needing it with a blower becfause they come with their own special intake.

Turbo setups are pretty new, so you likely won't find a used one. New turbo kits are over $5K, I believe.

You could get a new Powerdyne within your budget, but do a search before you get one. There are mixed opinions about this blower...

Old 02-07-2005 | 10:31 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor
Regardless of what you get, supercharger or turbo, you will need precise control of the PCM. The proper way of doing this is to talk to some one who tunes for these accessories. You should consider talking to Mike Troyer. He can explain all the ins and outs of proper tuning. Here is his contact info;

Troyer Performance/Performance Products, Inc.
Web Site: TroyerPerformance.com
(540) 862-9515
Email: Sales@TroyerPerformance.com

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-08-2005 | 03:10 PM
I bought my ATI procharger used and love as well. if you get an "out of the box" kit with the 8-9 psi pulley you wont need to worry about the tune right away. I have had my ATI on for about 6 months and have had no need for a tune...but now that I am upgrading to 12 psi, 42# injectors and a 90MM MAF, i will need a tune. If you end up upgrading to a setup that needs a tune, then I would stay away from mail order tunes..its a waste of time. I would find a sped shop near you and get it on the dyno to really get a solid tune.

The ATI is upgradable as well. And it can be upgarded higher than I would want to go with an everyday driver truck. Talk to Crash (Derek) and he can hook you up.

here is a guy selling his: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...85#post1563285

Last edited by chinookdriver; 02-08-2005 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2005 | 04:13 PM
"Under $4,000" several brands of superchargers can be had new for that price. I personally have an ATI Procharger and would recommend it. Out-of-the-box at 8-9psi and intercooled.

Old 02-08-2005 | 05:44 PM
I would suggest, if you really want ot install a s/c, to talk to Raider about his used kit. You could get the same ATI kit for a much lower cost...i got mine at half price esentially from another member. Then you could use the remaining budget for other things like a good tune or upgraded parts.....or towards the new 4r70w Monster box tranny...ooohhhh!

Old 02-08-2005 | 08:29 PM
Originally posted by chinookdriver
I would suggest, if you really want ot install a s/c, to talk to Raider about his used kit. You could get the same ATI kit for a much lower cost...i got mine at half price esentially from another member. Then you could use the remaining budget for other things like a good tune or upgraded parts.....or towards the new 4r70w Monster box tranny...ooohhhh!
That's great advice, and exactly what I did. I used the money I saved to upgrade my computer, fuel system & bought Mad's intake as well, for another 1.5 psi of boost...

Old 02-08-2005 | 09:22 PM
It all depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. Personaly for a truck application I would go used roots take off from a lightning or a harley truck if its a 5.4. It is a much more usable power making great low end torque and power which I feel is the way to go for a truck or heavy weight street vehicle.

Old 02-08-2005 | 11:39 PM
I love the sound of the Procharger's whine....makesz it sound like I have a lycoming turbine under the hood......and it gives me a great power feeling! with the stock ATi kit im running 330rwhp.

Its all about what you want and like.

Old 02-08-2005 | 11:50 PM
Since you have an 04 with the 3v I would recommend going with one fo the new superchargers that have been designed and tested for our new engine. I would go for either the Roush or the Whipple . Course your $4000 limit seems a little low in order to do that. These new superchargers fo the 3v come with the complete package including intake and performance tuning equipment designed to be compatible with the 3v. I would never buy a used s-charger and slap it on my new truck.

The whipple looks pretty sweet....475 hp from stock 5.4 3v

goodluck

Old 02-09-2005 | 01:44 PM
My ATI's torque peaks at 2700 rpm. I think the notion of a centrigugal blower being weak on the bottom is exaggerated.

Old 02-14-2005 | 06:34 PM
Is it true that Ford Racing is going to be selling the whipple for the 04 5.4L F150?

If so will it void the warranty?

Old 02-15-2005 | 12:12 AM
Good to see your back Crash.

Old 02-15-2005 | 07:08 PM
Think I found it.

www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news09.asp

Looks like the 04 F150 is next.

Ford says a 20% performance gain but Whipple shows more like a 60% performance gain.

So Ford detunes it?

Quick Reply: Educate Me Please