Is it safe

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005 | 08:04 PM
|
Is it safe

I have a 2000 Ford F150 Harley Non Supercharged and i want to supercharge it. Is it safe to put a supercharger kit on my truck? Cuz I was thinking maybe my connecting rods are thinner than a lightning motor or HD SUpercharged motor or maybe my motor is the same. Like for example a mustang GT and a mustang Cobra have the same block but In a GT block the connecting rods are as thin as a pencil so a stock gt cant put a supercharger on. If you get what im sayin and you can help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-23-2005 | 08:15 PM
You'll be fine at normal boost levels.

Plenty of folks here have put blowers on our trucks.

Your engine block & internals are pretty much the same as a Lightning's, except for the pistons and of course the blower.

Many folks with centifugal blowers run up over 10psi of boost with simple fuel mods and a reprogrammed ECU. I run 10.5 psi and I've got over 110K miles on my Expy. A roots or twin-screw blower will run a little less boost but they provide plenty of reliable power as well.

Just be reasonable and you'll be fine. Some folks have upwards of 360hp at the rear wheels with a blower kit and stock internals. You have PI heads so you can expect that much power from an intercooled ATI with fuel mods, as an example..

Old 02-23-2005 | 08:35 PM
|
but the blower im looking at is off of a lightning

Old 02-24-2005 | 08:58 AM
Yes it is safe. On your engine you can go up to 12 psi of boost with a quality tuned chip. Your 5.4 rods are the same as the Lightning 5.4. Your pistons are a little weaker than the Lightning 5.4, but are as strong as an oem F150 5.4. You can put any supercharger or turbo system you want on it. Engine part strenght/condition, and forced induction system and related mods, determine how much boost you can "safely" run.

The lightning system you wish to install is very safe to install in your truck. Infact, I argue that it is the best forced induction system for our trucks, why? The advantages of the lightning system include:

1. large air to water intercooler with larger after market heat exchangers
2. oem quality
3. a time tested and proven system in millions of different vehicles, vehicles that come from the factory with this system or similar systems AND have warranties.
4. The stock Eaton M112 supercharger is very durable.
5. Does not use the engine serpentine belt. It has its own belt.
6. Currently, besides the stock Eaton M112 roots unit, you can remove the stock unit and easily replace it with two other improved roots units, or a twinscrew unit and soon you will have a choice of two more twinscrew units including the largest displacement blower ever created for the 5.4 sohc engine, the monster 3.3 whipple twinscrew as well as, a prototype centrifugal system has been created for the system and a single turbo system is currently being created for use in conjunction with the lightning system, for a total of seven (7) "head units" designed specfically for use with the lightning system.
7. Full time and the most experienced, racing "tuners", continue to perform reseach and design activities to continue to improve the basic system for our benefit (different supercharger units, intake, throttlebody, pulley, airfilter, fuel delivery, exhaust, altenator, and cooling , transmission, engine long and short block mods, etc.
8. The fastest 1/8th and 1/4 mile second generation lightning utilizes the lightning system with a 2.3 twinscrew replacement unit.
9. Provides the most torque at the lowest rpms You want this in a truck.
10. Depending on the mods, engine rebuild and head unit, you can far exceed 20 psi of boost with the lightning system.
11. Only forced induction system that MIGHT be faster than the lightnng system, is a twin (2) turbo system, but they are more expensive and unproven at this point in time .
12. A very experienced former manufacturer of automotive parts, that builds exotic sports cars from scratch and designed parts for our F150 and currently designs and sells forced induction parts for all types of kits, has already completed the research for us and offers kits and technical support to complete the lightning system "swap" at www.madenterprise.com

Good luck!

Last edited by iron horse; 02-24-2005 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2005 | 09:18 AM
I'm with stupid^^^^^^^ ya what he said!!!

Old 02-24-2005 | 10:00 AM
3. a time tested and proven system in millions of different vehicles, vehicles that come from the factory with this system or similar systems AND have warranties.
were is that number coming from?

ironhorse, somethings alway has me going.....hmmmmm

f150 best selling vehicle...period

4.6 and 5.4 came out in 97, out for 8 years.

allen, out of business, works..out of business

whipple,..still not on the market

kennebell, those that have them seem to like them but the number installed on regular f150 are few.

my question:
using the above reasoning that you use, why hasent someone either larger or small company, marketing the 112 eaton to the masses? why isnt there a kit put together with one stop shopping? most of us just dont want to go parts hunting for our daily driver.

i will agree, 100%, that a roots or twin screw is the best option for towing or that offline acceleration, If i was buying a new truck i would check the line that says "Roush" blower, intercooled or not it is the only safe way to keep warranty intack.

i am alway surprised that the lightning tuners do not try to cross over to the regular f150 guys and sale upgrades and systems. there are only a limited number of lightnings, they have all the oem stuff probalby sitting around.

Old 02-24-2005 | 11:06 AM
.....I get tired of being politically correct.....
....just had to let loose a little to stir up the forum......
.....sometimes my focus group marketing b.s. kicks in when I have too much coffee and I am on the P.C....... Go Allen Roots!

In reality, I truely believe that all the "my system is better than your system" is just plain silly. But silly is as silly does! haha!

Actually the comment your quoting comes from a "guess-a-mation" considering all the Ford Thunderbirds, Lightnings, Saleens, Buick Century, Park Avenue, Regals, Oldsmoble, Olds 88, 98, LSS, Pontiac Bonneville, Grand Prix, Mercedes, Jaguars, Nissans, and Mazdas that come stock from the factory using some form of the Eaton roots supercharger and yet, they all came with warranties. However, it is also true that some vehicles came from the factory with turbos like one of my all time favorites the turbo Trans Am, as well as the Cyclone/Typhoon and Grand National, and they all kept their warranty) . As well as, a few years ago, Ford sold an "official" supercharger kit for the F150 comprised of a Powerdyne centrifugal (would not void warranty). I know this, If I ever decide to put a forced induction system in my Firebird (car), I will get a single (1) turbo or centrifugal.

There already is a one stop shopping for the lightning swap. It is our very own Mad. at www.madenterprise.com If I could focus on one project, and was not such a cheap bast*rd, my swap would already be completed, but, you know by now that, I got A.D.D. and I am trying to do the lightning supercharger swap AND engine swap for a buck O' five It looks like it is going to cost me about $2800 total for the lightning supercharger swap AND a lightning engine swap. If I was only doing the supercharger system swap, it would have been very cheap and easy to do.

I am very suprised about that as well. Why the lightning tuners do not market to us is beyond me. We are a much larger market. Although, I think www.madenterprise.com is going above and beyond to try to accomplish this.

Last edited by iron horse; 02-24-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-24-2005 | 12:19 PM
lookinmg at that site i figure the following prices

the kit is $1261.00,
other parts needed are $375.00
a custom chip dyno tuned will run about $350
a lightning superchargerwith harness, injector...ect from ebay is going for $1400

$3386, not including shipping (at least $200)

i figure that misc stuff will cost another $200

so is $3700 not installed a price for someone that wants to install the kit in the next month or 2 and do one stop shopping?

anyone have any idea what install prices would be for the person that is either to busy or dosent have the tools or skills to do this?

i also dont know if that is with all the required air duct, radiator shroud, hose and all the little stuff that addes up.

Old 02-24-2005 | 01:00 PM
No its more for a DIYS!!! If someone has the money and not the time, desire, or knowledge they should pay over 5K for a speed shop to install an aftermarket blower that they know nothing about and drive.........

Old 02-24-2005 | 01:26 PM
To answer your question... Yes, you're safe. You'll be fine.

Old 02-24-2005 | 08:32 PM
No its more for a DIYS!!! If someone has the money and not the time, desire, or knowledge they should pay over 5K for a speed shop to install an aftermarket blower that they know nothing about and drive.........
most aftermarket kits can be installed from $600 to $1000 and typical down time is 2 to 3 days, just wondering how this one compared.

brahmus how much do you have in your swap. if i remeber correctly you did the swap before you started a new job so you had some time to do it, how many hours did you have in it.

Old 02-25-2005 | 08:39 AM
Well i pulled one motor/tranny out put it in another truck (and got that truck running) dropped in new "L" motor, tranny and most of the goodies within a weekend. The swap took longer because i had to wait on parts. Hell the headers took longer than dropping the motor or bolting up the tranny

what do you mean can be installed for $600 to $1000? What about the orginal cost of the blower?

Old 02-25-2005 | 10:18 AM
i mean the cost to install, if someone has all the parts.

i bought my vortech used for $1400, had it for 3 months and never had time to install it so i paid a guy $700 to install it.
i have $2100 tatal installed and that was 2 years ago.

once again i KNOW it does not make the lowend of yours, but the price was right.

what i am getting at is what is a realistic cost to do this, most of us do what the budget will allow. I know way to many people that tell you what something cost and they leave out the details , i know i do it, somehow not actually sitting down and adding up the expense makes it better

the older i get the more i realize how much my time is worth and to many people dont put a value on that. owning my own business, if i spend 8 hours on the phone chasing a $200 part, the reality is that that part cost me $800 plus th cost of the part. (in some cases worse, rescently spent 15 minutes on the phone for a $68k order with a $19K profit, had i been out chasing parts or to busy working on my truck, that order is not mine)

i must also add that i have a weekend car and i do all the work on it, its my hobby and i enjoy working on it but if it dosent start on sunday night, no big deal.

Old 02-25-2005 | 11:13 AM
You got a great deal on a used kit, but remember the "average" person won't stumble across that deal.
For numbers sake and my heart I sat down the other day and added everything motorwise i had in the motor up......................................over $11K now i know that seems like alot but my 99 was down and i needed a motor regardless if it was N/A or a lightning block. Now i know i could have picked one up from junkyard or had mine rebuild but i picked up A NEW reman for $3800 with 04 heads 3year/36k warranty so i felt it worth it. I also spent near 2 upgrading the tranny. so I have somewhere over 5K in the forced induction system and i upgraded everything!!! even ported the blower and installed $1300 dynatech headers and midpipes. So even and average person could have installed this for alittle over 3K or worse even 4K and have just as much if not more than an off the shelf blower but have the pleasure of sporting the FORD emblem on the blower I love it, and the reliablity of an OEM product. Now i worked backwards and each day i am glad i went this way and wouldn't have changed for anything. Now i must admit i considered a twin turbo setup recently but i think i'll save that for the future hot rod and i can always upgrade blower and install a built block for more than enough daily driven power!

Old 02-25-2005 | 05:01 PM
Originally posted by BROTHERDAVE
lookinmg at that site i figure the following prices

the kit is $1261.00,
other parts needed are $375.00
a custom chip dyno tuned will run about $350
a lightning superchargerwith harness, injector...ect from ebay is going for $1400

$3386, not including shipping (at least $200)

i figure that misc stuff will cost another $200

so is $3700 not installed a price for someone that wants to install the kit in the next month or 2 and do one stop shopping?

anyone have any idea what install prices would be for the person that is either to busy or dosent have the tools or skills to do this?

i also dont know if that is with all the required air duct, radiator shroud, hose and all the little stuff that addes up.

$3700 would be a little high for the basic set up for "one stop shopping".

If you spent only 1 day getting all the parts needed for the swap, you could,

Purchase "ebay" lightning supercharger assembly) for $1400 and then,

Go to www.madenterprise.com and then call Mike Dunn and order the basic kit which includes miscellaneous items like the gasket kit for $1261 (I can not find better quality nor cheaper prices than this!) and then,

Order the Crank pulley and belt, airfilter assembly and heat exchanger ($125 + $155 + 125) for $405 and then

Tuned chip for $350

For a sub total of $1400 + 1261 + 405 + 350 = $3416, then assume $200 for shipping for a total of $3,616.00.
However, this is for ordering everything you need for the basic oem lightning system, on the same day.

However, if you use www.nloc.net and or ebay and or this site's classified section and or JDM, PSP, or JLP, within days, you would secure the following:

crank pulley for approximately $40 + 10 shipping, instead of $125
airfilter assembly for approximately $40 + 10 shipping, instead of $155 for a savings of $180, therefore the basic price is reduced to ($3,616 - $180) $3,436 (although, I would at least upgrade to larger heat exchanger by Madenterprise, which raise the price back up to $3600)

.....as well as, shopping around will provide a lower price for the supercharger assembly. However, the $3,436 price is very competitive with other aftermarket systems.

Remember, regardless of which kit or system you use, you will be replacing the fuel pump (even at stock boost). As well as, the majority of us will eventually go above stock psi levels, therefore requiring at a minimum larger injectors, and a tuned chip for all systems. Note: The lightning assembly general comes with the 42lb injectors you need for higher boost ($200 - $400 value).

Although, I have dragged out my swap for many reasons (I am doing an engine AND supercharger assembly swap), the truth is, I will have about $1500 or less total in my lightning supercharger kit (not including a re-burn of my chip).

If you make a concentrated effort (unlike me) and use the following sources, you can reduce the price of the lightning supercharger assembly greatly within several weeks or sooner:

1. www.madenterprise.com (This should be your first stop)
2. www.ebaymotors.com
3. www.nloc.net (place an ad)
4. this sites classified section (place an ad)
5. JDM engineering
6. PSP
7. JLP

Last edited by iron horse; 02-27-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Is it safe