Final ATI ?'s before committing...install, concerns, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005 | 01:51 PM
|
I'm sorry, but I don't see how those mods were a waste of money. Sure, your intake is worthless because the blower replaces it, but I'm sure you're seeing gains with the exhaust and if you got a custom tuner, the chip as well.

Old 06-23-2005 | 02:47 PM
I can't speak for Jordon not Mike (by the way I am Mike just not Jordan), but I had the same situation. I feel I "wasted money" not because there was no gain, but because the gains were often imperceptible. I couldn't feel it in the seat of my pants. Also, I don't do the race track for timing slips, nor do I have access to a dyno. I would have appreciated his advice prior to the $$ spent seeking the kind of performance that I wanted. So I have a non programable chip, and FIPK that I can't use anymore. The money on the exhaust and the e-fans is still with me.

Also, I upgraded to a 3core Procharger system, bought the 3 year warranty, and got it all for less than $3500 brand new. It works fantastic right out of the box...no tune, no chip. Just gauges to keep an eye on things. If I were going to the race track to blast away at full boost, I would get the tune, the 42#, etc. etc. Bottom line is a lot of us monkey with EVERYTHING we get. That doesn't mean it ain't perfectly good "as is". We just like to keep adding and changing! (I know I do, and will! Yeah, the other stuff will come someday)

Believe me, just passing on the FWY, snapping my head back and watching that boost gauge climb gives me a thrill that no other mods can come close to. Thems my thoughts on the issue. I'm sure you will be happy with the Troyer tune and stuff.

Old 06-23-2005 | 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jackal
I'm sorry, but I don't see how those mods were a waste of money. Sure, your intake is worthless because the blower replaces it, but I'm sure you're seeing gains with the exhaust and if you got a custom tuner, the chip as well.
Let me clarify:
I wanted to get a blower from the get-go. Just didn't do my homework and upgraded things piecemeal until I had the cajones to get the blower.

So the stuff I bought was wasted in that regard, because they were all junked when I got the blower.

But like deperado says, the gains pre-blower were barely noticeable. I mean, it drove nicer driveability-wise, but the speed gains weren't huge. I don't think the "butt dyno" is a good measure at any rate...

Getting a blower is extreme. I would definitely do other mods if I knew I wasn't gonna get a blower at some point. I like maxing-out my stuff - I tinker with everything too

Old 06-23-2005 | 03:33 PM
The way I was going about it, basic kit Procharger, wasn't the "right" way.
i have a stock maf, stock injectors, vortech supplied fuel pump in a oem quality kit. awesome tech support that helped me with a few things in the beginning even though i was not the orginal buyer and the warranty was gone.

throttle body is a waste of money, porting the elbow is said to be a 4 to 8 hp gain, i would not waste my time on hone extruding the intake very $$ and with the flow of the stock heads you would see little to no gain. port matching looks pretty but the serious gains are done in the bowls, chambers as well as the exhaust ports. no way you get 25 hp from port matching and porting the intake.

A cent. blower isn't for me in a truck that doesn't see 4,000 RPM very often.
a were do you think you mods are going to see those peak 35 hp gains, it isnt at 2000 prm and it is probably at 4500 rpm.

you have got some nice mods and just depending on what you expect, you will notice a gain. the 35 hp is a resonable number to expect.

i am in no way arguing the point with you, i just have not seen any numbers to back up what some people claims.

to may people are happy with a chip or tune to deny that it works, just how much is what i want to know. i have heard that the transmission shifts is worth the price of the chip.

Last edited by BROTHERDAVE; 06-23-2005 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Final ATI ?'s before committing...install, concerns, etc.