2004 4.6L Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005 | 12:32 PM
|
Yeah, I just wanted to know if I should do a lot of little things and then years down the line when I get a full-time job and not a summer internship and start making more money. Then, buy a SC. After college.

Old 06-15-2005 | 02:47 PM
For the 2 valve SOHC Trition engines,
The "little things" cost anywhere from $50 to $500 each and if you eventually get a supercharger, you will have to have a chip reprogrammed and remove undrive pulleys (underdrive pulleys can also screw up your charging system). Without a supercharger a larger diameter exhaust will rob you of lowend pep. An open airfilter puts heated air in engine. A larger diameter airfilter tube robs lowend response. K&N airfilter requires oiling that can damage your MAF sensor. Lower rear gears give you more lowend pep, but uses more gas and you loose highway topend and it costs as much as some used superchargers.

Taking some of the slack out of the throttle cable (simple but can kill if not done properly), electric radiator fans, shift/valvebody kits and free flowing mufflers only, are good mods reguardless if you have a supercharger or not. But an electric fan(s) kit can cost $300-$500 and you want to be leary of plastic zipties causing radiator leaks. These four mods alone will cost around $600- $800 and you not be much if any faster.

If you go the non-supercharger route, I would talk to Mike Troyer and Neal (they can be found in the computer chip section). They can tell you how to get the most out of a non-supercharged F150.

If you have a 2 valve AND you eventually are going with a supercharger, it may be better to save for at least a used $700-$1000 Vortech or Powerdyne supercharger kit and THEN add the above supporting mods for even better performance. To get some of the above supporting mods. FIRST, may actually decrease your existing performance or may not provide you with a noticable increase in existing performance.

If you have a 3 valve, just start saving......and saving.

Good luck.

Last edited by iron horse; 06-15-2005 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2005 | 04:55 PM
As Iron Horse stated maybe you should try and get in touch with Troyer (Troyerperformance.com). He's selling the new "programable" tuners that you may be able to use once you get the blower. This way it wont be a waste of money down the road.

Old 06-15-2005 | 08:19 PM
If you've got a 2004 F150 4.6L, then you've got a 2V engine...the 3V's aren't out yet in the F150. I've got a 2005 with a 2V 4.6. Seeing as they're new trucks, it'll take a bit before the parts are out for them. You're much in the same boat as me...just waiting for the money to come in. More than likely, one of the mustang 4.6 kits will work with a bit of adjustment...but I don't know for sure.

Don't bother to look for the throttle cable adjustment...there isn't a throttle cable on the new trucks. Throttle response is taken care of with a tuner...from what I've heard.

Old 06-16-2005 | 12:13 PM
|
You all ought to read about my exciting day yesterday. About the Hit and Run.

Old 06-17-2005 | 01:25 AM
Ok wait a minute, the last I was able to determine is that there currently is NO supercharger kit out there for the 04 F-150 new body style with a 2v 4.6. I have searched everywhere...even e-mailed whipple, and they said it's different than past years because there is no fuel return line. I haven't checked so I cant verify that for sure but the fact still remains....as far as I can tell, there isn't a kit out there that works for a new body style 4.6 2v F-150. If ANYONE knows of one, PLEASE let me know. Crash, are turbo kits for New body styles available yet?

Old 06-17-2005 | 08:18 AM
|
Well that solves that. No supercharger then. I still want one though.

Old 06-17-2005 | 08:23 AM
ok after looking the 4.6 is still a 2V now what's different if any i'm not sure but give Crash a call i'm sure he knows or can find out.

Quick Reply: 2004 4.6L Supercharger