Question for Crash and Procharger Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005 | 02:32 PM
|
Question Question for Crash and Procharger Gurus

The stock Procharger location of the IAT sensor is in the intake tube before the blower unit. Would it be better to put this AFTER the intercooler to give the engine a truer read on the induction air temp? Wouldn't that also provide more protection to the engine in the event of high intake temps caused by blocked intercooler or other unforeseen problems?

If that being the case, where and how would you recommend relocating the IAT sensor?

P1SC, 8-9 lb pulley, 3 core intercooler.

Old 06-14-2005 | 02:44 PM
Suspended
its best to relocate it right in front of the throttle body...that way you are reading the air temps after the s/c...make sure you tell your tuner that you moved it...I made a hole in the rubber tube and mounted it at a 3 o'clock position..i had to lengthen the wires to do it

Last edited by raider; 06-14-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2005 | 04:12 PM
|
So there is no problem with them blowing out of the rubber tubing under boost?

Old 06-14-2005 | 04:25 PM
Suspended
mine never did and I was seeing 11-11.5 psi of boost

Old 06-14-2005 | 06:54 PM
|
Thanks for the quick replies

Old 06-14-2005 | 08:06 PM
Actually since the stock ati iat location is before the compressor,the most pressure it gets is from the bypass air.At 15psi,or wot,there is low pressure there(vacuum).Also ,all sct tunes are with the iat sensor b4 the t-body,post i/c.And w/ that 3 core i/c you got, the iat will read cooler air @ the t-body, considering the ati located iat is measuring hot underhood air.Youd be suprised how much timing the ecu pulls based on higher intake temps.

Frank

Ps.Desperado..I like your intake pipes.I also have efans and cut mine and put rubber couplers,which I know is killing my boost.Can you reproduce yours?If not Im gonna find a local mandrel bending shop to do mine...thnx

Last edited by ganiman; 06-14-2005 at 09:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2005 | 11:52 PM
|
Originally Posted by ganiman
Actually since the stock ati iat location is before the compressor,the most pressure it gets is from the bypass air.At 15psi,or wot,there is low pressure there(vacuum).Also ,all sct tunes are with the iat sensor b4 the t-body,post i/c.And w/ that 3 core i/c you got, the iat will read cooler air @ the t-body, considering the ati located iat is measuring hot underhood air.Youd be suprised how much timing the ecu pulls based on higher intake temps.

Frank

Ps.Desperado..I like your intake pipes.I also have efans and cut mine and put rubber couplers,which I know is killing my boost.Can you reproduce yours?If not Im gonna find a local mandrel bending shop to do mine...thnx
Frank,
Do you have 3 core intercooler?
I cut 2 inches off the throttle body tube and welded, filled, filed, sanded and painted the joint.
I cut 3 1/2 inches off the compressor tube, yadda, yadda, yadda. That cut is on the front to back portion.
On the lower section, I replaced some of the rubber tubing with longer sections in order to get them to line up and clear the other stuff. There is quite a bit of "gimme" in the tubes...you can move em around and get plenty of clearance.
I was gonna use rubber splices and decided to do the work and weld em up, nice and clean.
Check out those cool hose clamps!

Last edited by desparado; 06-14-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2005 | 07:40 PM
3 core? But of course

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...6271&anum=4774

Im gonna find a mandrel bending service around here and do it up.My old pipes are past the point of having too many connections(turbulence).

Frank

Old 06-16-2005 | 09:10 AM
Why doesn't ATI place the AIT in the proper location to begin with? How do you plug the old hole? Anyone have any pics of the stock location / relocation?

Last edited by Jackal; 06-16-2005 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2005 | 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jackal
How do you plug the old hole?
I used duct tape (looked cheezy) until I got Mad's intake, which doesn't have the hole - and looks 100x better than the ATI intake.

Old 06-16-2005 | 02:21 PM
I see...but isn't that thing like $300? ...and doesn't it require a custom tune?

Old 06-16-2005 | 02:44 PM
It's less than $300, I can't recall exactly how much. Touch base with Mad and he'll let you know.

I'm not sure if you need a custom tune.
If theory is correct, and ATI purposely restricts the intake, then you may need a custom tune/larger pump/injectors; this is the only reason I can think of as to why ATI would make a restrictive intake - to limit boost.

Old 06-16-2005 | 02:56 PM
Yup, weird...you'd think they'd optimize the intake, and just use a smaller drive pully, but who knows. Does ATI locate the AIT between the filter and the head unit? Wouldn't this reading be very close to the aftercooled reading or does the 2 core IC get the intake charge below ambient temps somehow?

Old 06-16-2005 | 06:28 PM
I think they desinged it like that to reduce the chance of by-pass air heading towards the maf..Thats all I can think of,unless it just would cost them more to do it w/o the restriction..????

Frank.

Jackal, if you do get the kit,I might have a rubber elbow w/ no holes in it.I know I got a buncha stuff.The cost is shipping. .And yes, the stock ati iat location is post maf pre charger

Last edited by ganiman; 06-16-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2005 | 07:24 PM
|
Wouldn't this reading be very close to the aftercooled reading
For me it has never been a problem...When the truck is moving. But idling at a stop light, or in heavy traffic when the temp is 105 or even higher (like 120 in Lake Havasu City, AZ) the under hood temps that the air filter is exposed to can be 200 degrees. Far above ambient, and causing the PCM to severly pull timing. The intercooler would provide a cooler temp to the engine, and that is what the timing, fuel mixture should be adjusted to. I suppose without air flow, eventually the IC temps would also rise, but my test using my hands, I could barely touch the MAF unit which is before the blower, but the tube to the intake (after the blower) was almost cool to the touch. This with the engine sitting for 10 minutes with AC going, and hood down.

Quick Reply: Question for Crash and Procharger Gurus