advice from anyone running procharger?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005 | 09:27 AM
|
Exclamation advice from anyone running procharger?

i have recently been looking into buying a procharger kit for my 2001 5.4 4x4 but i still have reservations seeing how much money it is and how difficult to install it looks to be.. Anyone with input on if this baby really performs to the 65% increase it is suppposed to and if the installation can me done at home by someone with limited knowledge.. pretty much what im asking is IS it worth it? and just how does it performe?

oh geez i almost forgot, also if anyone has a used one that they are considering to sell or not, run it by me so we can maybe get a deal going

thanks guys

Old 07-27-2005 | 12:30 PM
Suspended
I have done the ATI on my truck with the 3 core...it took me a weekend to install it...if you know how to turn a wrench then you shouldnt have a problem installing it...I had 345rwhp with the 3 core kit...if you can find a used kit it is a fun s/c to have...I have also done the L swap...this kit is more technical to install and took me 17 hours from start to finish and is also a great s/c to have..first look at your budget and then decide on what to do and what kind of power you want

Old 07-27-2005 | 05:30 PM
If you do the fuel mods and get a good tune, you'll push right up against a 65% increase (approx 343RWHP). 12# pulley won't hurt, either.

I watched a guy dyno his 9# install with no fuel mods and get 330RWHP. That was amazing I thought. He definitely had an expert tune.

Originally Posted by laxwarrior013
i have recently been looking into buying a procharger kit for my 2001 5.4 4x4 but i still have reservations seeing how much money it is and how difficult to install it looks to be.. Anyone with input on if this baby really performs to the 65% increase it is suppposed to and if the installation can me done at home by someone with limited knowledge.. pretty much what im asking is IS it worth it? and just how does it performe?

oh geez i almost forgot, also if anyone has a used one that they are considering to sell or not, run it by me so we can maybe get a deal going

thanks guys

Old 07-28-2005 | 11:07 PM
|
Exclamation explain

i have a few questions that may seem stupid but i just want to learn when you were writing all those numbers.... like sup0ercharger 12# what does that stand for? also what are fuel mods?

Old 07-28-2005 | 11:37 PM
No prob!

12# refers to a 12 Pounds/Square Inch (PSI) pulley. The base ProCharger kit comes with a 9 PSI pulley and will get you between 8 and 10 pounds of boost with it. The 12 PSI pulley (cost extra $$$) will get you between 10 and 13 pounds of boost. The 12 PSI makes quite a bit of difference (I've had both) and is almost a "must" purchase for ProCharger kits.

Fuel mods generally refer to:

upgraded fuel injectors (usually 36 or 42PSI, stock are 19PSI).
upgraded MAF which is the mass air meter
upgraded in-tank fuel pump - the ProCharger kit comes with an inline boost-a-pump but many ditch it in favor of the in-tank pump.

For the 2001 5.4L, I think the most common upgrade path is *probably* a Lightning MAF and 42PSI injectors. This is because the Lightning MAF is already calibrated to work with the 42PSI injectors.

The questions aren't stupid... they're good! 2 years ago, I had no idea what any of this stuff meant! lol

Keep in mind that my answers are based on my kit that I purchased in October 2003. ProCharger may be sending different stuff with the kits now... I dunno. I think they include the fuel upgrades for the *new* F150's.

If I've made any errors or omissions, I'm sure someone'll come by and correct me

Good luck.

Originally Posted by laxwarrior013
i have a few questions that may seem stupid but i just want to learn when you were writing all those numbers.... like sup0ercharger 12# what does that stand for? also what are fuel mods?

Quick Reply: advice from anyone running procharger?