Reroute the blow-off tube.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006 | 09:35 PM
adt
|
Reroute the blow-off tube.

In an effort to elimate the very restrictive blow-off tube connection on my Procharger set-up, can I disconnect the blow-off tube to vent into the air or does it need to be rerouted back into the intake system? I ask this due to comments made in another thread.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=7238

Old 09-30-2006 | 09:42 PM
x2 to the reply in the other thread. You don't want to vent metered air with no other mods. Your ECU has measured it and expects it to be there. By venting it your A/F ratio will be screwed up.

You can vent it if you have a tune to compensate for it, like some turbo cars. But many other turbo cars use recirculate this air as well.

Old 10-01-2006 | 12:11 AM
Correct. Any incoming air that has already been metered, needs to get to that motor. If it doesnt, you will have problems.

The only real determining factor is the location of the MAF and the BOV/Diverter Valve.

If the valve is PRE-MAF, then there is no harm in venting to atmosphere.

If the valve is POST-MAF, then the air has already been metered, and the EEC has already calculated for it. The air must be recirculated into the intake.

Old 10-01-2006 | 12:54 AM
I plugged off my recirculation valves and just run without blowoff capability.

Old 10-01-2006 | 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
Where does your blower's output go when you close the throttle?
It has to go somewhere...?

Old 10-01-2006 | 09:41 AM
^Now this is a very bad idea!

Old 10-01-2006 | 09:11 PM
That has bad news written all over it be prepared to open up the pocket book and a few jars of vaseline. Never do something that could comeback to haunt you.

Old 10-02-2006 | 01:09 PM
adt
|
Alright, I can understand what you're saying about the metered air. I was just wondering how I could open up the intake a little more without spending big bucks for a new intake system. On the ATI intake, if you look in that collar where the blow-off tube connects to, it is very restricted. Has anyone modified that set-up?
And BTW s1073s, I'm not sure if you just don't know what you're talking about or if you're just trying to get some kicks by F'ing somebody up, but comments like this "Yes it can just vent to the atmosphere. no problem" are not appreciated if they're not true. Either get it right or get out of these forums.

Old 10-02-2006 | 06:13 PM
Talking

Madd Enterprises has a low restriction intake elbow that eliminates the Pro Charger Piece. I have it on my truck in fact. Don't know if he is still making them or not but it gets rid of the intake restriction.

Old 10-02-2006 | 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Flats Man
Madd Enterprises has a low restriction intake elbow that eliminates the Pro Charger Piece. I have it on my truck in fact. Don't know if he is still making them or not but it gets rid of the intake restriction.
I've got one too.

I see 10.5 psi on my 9 psi kit, likely due to the reduced restriction on the intake side.

And it looks a whole lot better than the hokey ATI setup

Old 10-02-2006 | 10:06 PM
I have been running for over a year like this without a single issue. All it does is relieve some boost pressure at cruising speeds in the end. There are lots of people who don't run the bypass. I don't think Chucksbp runs one either

Old 10-03-2006 | 01:16 AM
My Procharger's bypass valve got overclocked once (due to a loose bolt), it would only open a little bit, not enough to releive the pressure when the throttle closed. I got significant compressor surge...thought my blower's head unit would shake right off the mounting plate.

Perhaps roots/twin-screws are different, but even those come with bypass valves...?

Old 10-03-2006 | 08:38 AM
I have been running for over a year like this without a single issue. All it does is relieve some boost pressure at cruising speeds in the end. There are lots of people who don't run the bypass. I don't think Chucksbp runs one either
I'm pretty sure chucks_ bp use the Bosch (110 / 120 ? ). He gave me some help hooking up my first one.

Old 10-03-2006 | 01:07 PM
adt
|
Originally Posted by Flats Man
I'm familiar with Mikes intake system, I'm sure it's a good piece. The $$$ is my only deterant. If you look inside the ATI coupler you'll see a flow tube from the blow-off tube that curves toward the compressor. That's the source of the restriction. In my simple way of thinking, couldn't you just remove that flow tube thus eliminating the restriction?

Old 10-04-2006 | 12:00 AM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I'm pretty sure chucks_ bp use the Bosch (110 / 120 ? ). He gave me some help hooking up my first one.
I looked in his gallery, and there was one on the intake elbow to the blower, but its removed in other pictures. There is something on the supuercharger outlet/intercooler inlet that is routed back towards the IAC valve, but there aren't any pictures good enough to know what it is.

Quick Reply: Reroute the blow-off tube.